1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ShotgunSports & Hastings Barrels

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JJJ, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I just want all you shooters to realize that Johnny Cantu,Editor-In-Chief
    of Shotgun Sports Magazine & Mr. Rott,President and/or CEO of Hastings Barrels
    are two great guys to do business with. Quite a few moons ago, I ordered one of
    the Hastings' target crushing barrels for my Rem. 1100 Classic. I had a very long wait for the barrel. I received the barrel & saw where it didn't fit my Classic properly. Remington has an 1187 extractor in the Classic 1100. It's
    wider than the other 1100s.I had a gunsmith enlarge the extractor slot in my Classic & I also had two holes drilled in the barrel & had a wire shell catcher installed. Shortly thereafter, I received a letter from SS
    telling me I may have rec'd. a bore of 0.729 instead of the promised 0.740. They offered to replace the barrel, but I was satisfied, until----------I got
    thinking my full choke meant for a .740 bore would not be full choke in a 0.729
    bore. It would more than likely be closer to a light modified. I live on the East Coast & mailed a letter to Johnny Cantu,WITHIN 5 days, Johnny called me.
    He had just hung up from talking to Mr.Rott. Johhny said,"Hastings will replace the barrel." Gentlemen, that is real customer service. Thanks, to Mr.Cantu for backing the products he sells & thanks to Mr.Rott for backing
    the barrels his company manufactures. Joe Jordan

2. bernk-80

bernk-80 Member

what are your comments about these barrels ?did you notice a big difference over the stock barrels ? i have a new classic trap also was thinking of doing same thing.did you have your stock cut for adjustable comb ?thanks.bern. did they have to widen slot in barrel for bigger extractor ?

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Joe, I'm glad your experience with Shotgun Sports Magazine and Hastings was a good one. The true measure of a company is not necessarily the products they market but how they handle the inevitable problems that come along.

I have one of those barrels for my 1100 Tournament Trap. I had already had the comb made adjustable and had to raise it only slightly to accomodate the new barrel's POI, but my gun had one of Remington's older step rib barrels that had a more pronounced step and minimally higher POI than today's barrels.

I did notice a couple of things. The patterning of the Hastings barrel is as good as my original Remington barrel and that's saying something, as those old full-choke barrels are known for throwing gorgeous patterns, but the Hastings barrel does so with .005" less constriction (I use their .035" Full tube most of the time). The metal finish on the barrel is smoother and the bluing looks "deeper" because of that. The wider rib somehow is easier to look over than the narrower Remington rib and the anti-glare machining on the rib is more nicely done than on the OE barrel.

My 1100 is over 30 years old and its extractor is also a tight fit in the barrel's slot, but I just give the bolt handle a "bump" forward with my thumb after it stops and the action closes fully. One of these days, I ought to open the slot ever so slightly but I've only had the barrel three years, so there's no sense in rushing into anything...

Overall, I like the barrel a lot and sincerely wish Hastings would make one for the 870. I've asked several times only to be told they have no plans to make one available but perhaps if they received lots of requests for one, they might change their mind.

Ed

4. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Dear bernk-80:
    Spend the money, it is well worth it. I had my stock cut by Hollingsworth, he did one of the best jobs that I have seen done on a stock & turn around time is very short. I had the ejector slot in the Hastings Barrel enlarged & had two holes drilled in the Hastings Barrel for a wire shell catcher. The wire shell catcher, you can find more details on this site, as far as I am concerned is much better than any others.Plus the fact the reciever doesn't get scratched.

5. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

I also have one of these barrels, havent shot it yet, but it looks great. Has anyone had any luck finding extended choke tubes? I want to try it out for sporting clays, but the full choke is a little too tight. I called Hastings and they said they only sell M/IM/F/EF flush chokes. I cant even get a IC in this thread pattern. Briley wants $85 per choke and I didnt want to spend that just to see if I like it for sporting clays.. Thanks, Eric

6. Wayne of PA

Wayne of PA Member

I also have one. I only shot it a couple of times since I don't have the stock of my 1100 completed yet.

The barrel will absolutely crush targets no doubt about it. My first experience with Hastings was a little rough but they eventually worked things out.

I highly recommend the barrels to anyone,

Dale,

7. bernk-80

bernk-80 Member

are these barrels cheaper anywhere else ? or are they 349.00 everywhere.is the rib steel so it makes the barrel heavier i hope.

8. shrek

shrek Active Member

As AveragEd mentioned I too would like to see them make this barrel for the 870..... but it doesn't sound like it will happen any time soon. And I have asked them.

9. primer

primer TS Member

The wire shell catcher does it hold the shell in the action so you can save it or kick it out on the ground?

10. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Bullfrog:
    The wire shell catcher holds the empty shell. VERY SELDOM misses any of the fired shells. Perfect for the reloaders, as well as appreciated by the guy shooting next to you.
    JJJ

11. AveragEd

JJJ - where on this site can I find the information regarding the wire shell catcher? I gave the home page a once-over but didn't see anything there.

Ed

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I saved the pic of a wire installed on the 1100 barrel.

<a href="http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r104/HapMecTweaks/?action=view&current=wireshellcatcher2-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Hap

13. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

AveragEd: I did a print out from this site & filed it. Now, if I can only find it. More info will follow in a day or so. Several of my friends also had the work done. Without exception they all love it.
    I am almost sure the first one I had installed was by DeWayne Knight,3583 Cook Road, Rootstown, Ohio 44272. He did an excellent job & a fast turn around. I'll continue to look for the data from this site.
    I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland, but grew up in Danville,PA. A little further north than your location.
    JJJ

14. AveragEd

Thanks. I'd like to have my Hastings barrel done.

Ed

15. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ed. If you have a drill, or drill press you could do it yourself. If you look at the photo it will give you a good idea where to drill the holes. They are drilled at a 45 degree angle opposite each other .the wire I used was piano wire I bought at a hobby shop. Its easy to do and easy to remove so you can shoot doubles.

16. Eric Mirosavich

Eric Mirosavich Member

I can get DeWayne Knights contact info if anyone needs it..

17. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Hap and Grunt, are the 45° holes tilted towards or away from each other? What is the distance from the end and the measurement between the holes? Thanks!

18. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

320090T, Away from each other. If you have the barrel in front of you look at the photo and it will give you an approximate measurement. Its not that critical. All your doing is catching an empty hull. With the barrel in the receiver you can also judge where to place the wire.

19. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

AveragEd:
    The picture already published on this thread is excellent.
    Try looking at two of these sites. I paid a lot more buying spools of wire at the hardware store than I did buying 0.04 staineless steel rods at the hobby store.
    You'll get a life supply for a few dollars. Look at (subject)Wire for shell catcher for 1100, dated 02/16/06. Also(sunject) Installing Wire Catcher on 1100. I had a gunsmith do the drilling at very little cost. I am not good at any home projects,as my wife can sware to that. The latter thread is dated 10/17/05.
    I hope this helps.
    JJJ ( from the land of pleasant living)

20. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Correction: Sunject should be subject & sware should be swear. I should start to proof read my typing. JJJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.