1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgunning magazines?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

I'd like to subscribe to one or two shotgunning magazines that cover the shooting sports, including trap and skeet and sporting clays. Can you recommend a good one?

Thanks!

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Shotgun Sports....I belive they advertize on this site.

3. kelly andersen

kelly andersen TS Member

Sporting clays is not to bad, they have alot of results which can get kind of boring, shotgun sports is not bad either, but its pretty spendy when you consider the content.If you like good hunting stories, shooting sportsman is a great mag. but its geared towards the sisde by side crowd. They have great photography and some really good hunting stuff. I wish somebody put out a good trap shooting mag. shootin trap from years ago was good, but they changed when they became shotgun sports.

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Earlier this year a man was considering publishing a trap magazine but I have read nothing more. I agree that a good trap magazine featuring the hows and whys of trap shooting is something that would interest many but the cost of publishing such a magazine with its limited readership and payment of instructors' articles would be high, especially during startup. Don't hold your breath.

Rollin

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Shotgun Sports would be the best to start with. If you could find someone in your area that has kept back issues, snatch'em up and read em all. Over the years they've had special articles on almost every event, gun, load, powder, etc. However, take the info for what it is...information, not the gospel. Every gun and shooter is different. Find a great shooter at your club and ask for help. Listen to him and no one else. I'm talking about a guy who wins a good share of events, not a self made teacher. The 3 most important things that will make you a competitor are Practice, Practice, Practice. Of course, good eye/hand coordination, the metal ability to quickly judge leads, and money help too!

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

If you are interested in old classic doubles and such the Double Gun Journal is a first class publication. Better really than a "magazine." Jake

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Some good shooting articles in Shooting Sportsman magazine also. Last one I received had a great article on vision and how to use your peripheral vision skills to your advantage in shotgunning. T&F is a good mag. for trap shooters, when it arrives. Hap

8. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Like Shooting Sportsman (even thought it is for the high end folks) and Sporting Classics (would like it better if they dumped the fishing). Shotgun Sports is ok (what ever happened to Frank Kodl?).

9. ljutic73

The Double Gun Journal is indeed a great book....at $20 a copy it's pricey but it's thick and well written and every copy has plenty of pictures of fabulous guns to drool over. I buy about 1 copy a year and re-read it many times....and NEVER throw them away!!

10. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

If you will join NSCA you will recieve Sporting Clays Mag.

11. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

12. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Beware Of "Shotgun News". Nothing to do with Shotguns. All about Military Guns etc. Dave T.

13. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Yea. That Shotgun News is a weird duck. Military city and nary a shotgun to be found. As for Double Gun Journal, it is pricey. But, you can find slightly used copies on Ebay for a few bucks. A very nice publication. Jake

14. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If your are a trapshooter then it should be Trap & Field.

By the way Frank Kodl sold out to a skeet shooter.

Don

15. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

Ditto Hap, i like Shooting Sportsman the best of the ones mentioned. JD

16. ljutic73

I agree, Big Don.....Shotgun Sports under Johhny Cantu's editorship pays lip service to trapshooting and no more...I re-subscribed to Trap & Field after a 10 year layoff. I read it from cover to cover and enjoy it very much...I don't shoot sporting clays and maybe 1 or 2 rounds of skeet a year so it works for me.

17. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Guys, I have to take a good bit of any blame for the number of trapshooting articles in Shotgun Sports. Johnny Cantu and production manager Linda Martin are constantly asking me for more trap-related stuff but I just don't have the time to write as many articles as they would like. Quality content is another problem - I don't want to write something meaningless just to fill pages and like to rely upon our readers and the local shooters I see for topics, as I at least know that someone is interested in them.

If you or anyone you know would like to help improve the content of Shotgun Sports and earn some extra shooting money in the process, feel free to contact Johnny. Believe me, he wants the trap content increased! Or if you have a topic you'd like to see in an article but don't like to write, please let me know via the email address above (drop the "x" first).

Ed

18. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Not trying to blow smoke here, but Ed's column is what keeps me reading Shotgun Sports.

19. scottheid

scottheid TS Member

Save your money, there are no good ones. Get a subscription to Guns and Ammo. It is a much better magazine. Scott

20. Questor

Questor TS Member

Thanks guys. I just ordered a subscription to Shotgun Sports.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.