1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun Sports Magazine 1/2 ads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Longhorn, Feb 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I subscribe to Shotgun Sports and I realize it helps support TS.com but I have been disappointed in the number of pages of ads as opposed to articles, especially in the latest issue. Half of the pages are covered with ads......really, count them. I don't mind looking at the prices of some of the guns and other equipment but there is a limit. Am I the only one with a concern? Let me know if I'm just a little grouchy and out of line today.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

It has been a s__t rag for a long time.

3. mike b.

mike b. Member

The original Shootin* Trap was only about 8 pages and few ads. So you're getting the same amt. of info in a bigger format. Stopped subscribing 20 yrs . ago but saved a few years of issues for re-reads if needed. Golf magazines are similar, after a few years of articles ,how much more can be said for technique?? Just check what's new and then realize no equipment is going to drastically improve you to win all competitions!! (unless of course you want to retire your Mossberg 500)

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If you want toi see a real shock look at a Field&Stream magazine from the 70's and one from today. The older mags were THREE times as thick with about the same number of ads as today and maybe even less. When was the last time you saw a major outdoor mag come out and say a product was bad? It's unheard of.Jeff

5. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

I kinda' like the adds,,like to shop,,sometimes see an ad for something that makes shooting a little more pleasant and enjoyable. Part of the experience.

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Why are you telling us? Tell Shotgun Sports magazine. They're the ones that can do something about it.

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I let my subscription lapse for that very reason.

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I let my subscription lapse for that reason too. Entirely too much on quantity, not quality.

Curt

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Please don't take this post as a writer for the subject magazine coming to its defense. Well, I guess I am, but hear me out before rushing to judgement.

As other posters have already mentioned, every magazine you can think of that accepts advertising has more if it today than years ago. Due to my interests in hunting, fishing, guns in general, motorcycles and sprint car racing, I subscribe to easily 15 other magazines and doubt that the number stops there. That makes me a reader and customer just like you and I see the same thing in all those magazines.

The reason is simple. If you pause to consider what's involved in physically generating a copy of a magazine and getting it in front of you at a newsstand or into your mailbox, the cover price is pretty much spoken for - especially if you subscribe at a reduced price. The editor-in-chief of another shooting magazine once told me that copy sales basically cover the costs of putting the magazine in the reader's hands. Advertising income covers the fixed expenses, payroll and the profits and as the cost of doing business rises, more advertising is needed to offset it.

Shucks, I can even remember when Trapshooters.com didn't have ads at all! If David could use the income and people want to pay him for some web space, should he decline because some of the readers of his message board might not like it?

A magazine has two other options - charge more for a copy or pay its writers less. You wouldn't like one and I wouldn't care much for the other (and we aren't getting rich as it is). Suddenly, having more ads to read doesn't seem so bad, does it?

Ed

10. willing

willing Member

Ed
    You're totally wrong. The magazine should have something new every month, like 7 1/2 or 8's. And it really should hand deliver it FREE to each of us who deign to receive it. Keep up the good work.

Bill

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

A lot of advertisements in a magazine is an indication of a successful publication. I am curious about the availability and price of shooting things I do not intend to purchase.

Pat Ireland

12. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Why are you telling us? Tell Shotgun Sports magazine. They're the ones that can do something about it.

13. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I let my subscription lapse for that very reason.

14. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I let my subscription lapse for that reason too. Entirely too much on quantity, not quality.

Curt

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Please don't take this post as a writer for the subject magazine coming to its defense. Well, I guess I am, but hear me out before rushing to judgement.

As other posters have already mentioned, every magazine you can think of that accepts advertising has more if it today than years ago. Due to my interests in hunting, fishing, guns in general, motorcycles and sprint car racing, I subscribe to easily 15 other magazines and doubt that the number stops there. That makes me a reader and customer just like you and I see the same thing in all those magazines.

The reason is simple. If you pause to consider what's involved in physically generating a copy of a magazine and getting it in front of you at a newsstand or into your mailbox, the cover price is pretty much spoken for - especially if you subscribe at a reduced price. The editor-in-chief of another shooting magazine once told me that copy sales basically cover the costs of putting the magazine in the reader's hands. Advertising income covers the fixed expenses, payroll and the profits and as the cost of doing business rises, more advertising is needed to offset it.

Shucks, I can even remember when Trapshooters.com didn't have ads at all! If David could use the income and people want to pay him for some web space, should he decline because some of the readers of his message board might not like it?

A magazine has two other options - charge more for a copy or pay its writers less. You wouldn't like one and I wouldn't care much for the other (and we aren't getting rich as it is). Suddenly, having more ads to read doesn't seem so bad, does it?

Ed

16. willing

willing Member

Ed
    You're totally wrong. The magazine should have something new every month, like 7 1/2 or 8's. And it really should hand deliver it FREE to each of us who deign to receive it. Keep up the good work.

Bill

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

A lot of advertisements in a magazine is an indication of a successful publication. I am curious about the availability and price of shooting things I do not intend to purchase.

Pat Ireland

18. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

I am also a subscriber to Shotgun Sports Magazine, i0n my opinion it is overpriced and lacking in content and magazine quality, they often seem to run out of topics as it shows when they come out with their "Blast from the Past Articles".

Berettaman7

19. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I for one think that both Shotgun Sport's and Trap and Field are great magazines. No, not every month has an article that interest me but most months do. I have learned a lot about trapshooting simply by reading the varied articles. I also like the advertising as there is much to be learned from the makers of shooting products. They are certainly worth the few bucks they cost..

20. 1881home

1881home TS Member

Shotgun Sports has been going downhill for a long time. As someone suggested, I wrote to them, not a e-mail, but a written letter, about their magazine content, and their appearing to be nothing more than a catalog. Never got the courtesy of a reply. They used to send out renewal notices all the time, but no reply to a letter.

If you had been a subscriber over the last ten or so years, You can just about memorize their articles because they are reruns from previous years. Even their covers are reruns.

I have nothing against anyone making a living or making a profit. I do, however, have a problem with people taking my money for used, rerun articles, that are dubious in content, in the first place. If they can't make a profit with a magazine that contains something worthwhile, then don't publish a magazine. Maybe publishing a magazine is not this man's niche. I'm surprised that the magazine even has advertisments, other than their own, considering their dwindling number of subscribers. These advertisers are playing, or paying, to a shrinking audiance.

I canceled my subscription a long time ago. He got me once but not twice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.