1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shotgun shooting to the right

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Oct 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I have a shotgun that I shot a pattern at 25 yards for skeet. The gun shot to the right of the target not a lot but enough. ( a paper target)

How can I change the impact of the gun? just shoot more to the left of the targets?

can I change the impact by shimming the but plate on the right side?

any help would be great.

jeff

2. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

Does the gun shoot to the right or are you not getting into the stock correctly which is causing you to shoot right? There is a huge difference. Larry

3. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

probley not getting into it right......if it was shooting to the right what would you do

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Jeff,

Moving the butt plate is not the way to change a gun's point of impact.

The first thing to check is the alignment of your eye wirh the rib. Are you looking down the center of the rib?

Next, is how your patterning shots were fired. Offhand is not nearly as accurate as aiming the gun and shooting it like a rifle from a stable bench-rest of some sort.

If you are looking down the center of the rib and the gun shoots to the right, I would suspect a flawed choke or a bent barrel. This assumes you have verified that your trigger pull and offhand shooting is not the cause.

If your eye is properly aligned with the rib and you are not causing the pattern to go to the right by a flawed trigger pull or aim, I agree with Phil. Put something on the left side of the comb that will move your eye to the left relative to the rib.

The patten will follow the changed position of your eye relative to the rib; it also move to the left. 1/8th inch eye repositioning or movement will result in close to 3" of pattern movement.

Rollin

5. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

I shoot left handed will I have to pack the right side of the stock

6. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

<blockquote>"I shoot left handed will I have to pack the right side of the stock"</blockquote>No, that will make things worse, and that makes even more sense now that you have stated you shoot left handed. I sounds to me as though you are relaxing the gun pressure on your face and in your shoulder pocket as you swing causing the gun to be pushed slightly away from your face and causing it to shoot to the right. I would also suspect that your eyes are not parallel with the ground when your gun is mounted and/or that you have to roll you head over the comb or push into the stock to line up the beads/center your eye down the rib.

If I'm correct, then you need to have the stock fitted to you.

Carol Lister

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You shoot left handed. Do you shoot a shotgun that is fitted with a left handed stock? If your shotgun has a right handed stock it will shot to the right when shot by a left handed shooter.

Does your shotgun have an adjustable comb? If it does you can solve the problem by moving it in the direction you want the pattern to move. HMB

8. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Rifles you move the rear sight opposite the direction you want to move the POI. Your eye is the rear sight using a shotgun. How much is your gun off? Have another person, right hander, shoot 5 shots and determine whether it is you or the stock. The stock might be cast a little for the 80 +% rightys.

A friend of mine bought a Bowen and we papered it, at 25 yd.s it shot 18-20 inches to the right for both of us. Bowen had to re rib the barrel.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

John,

Rifles you move the rear sight in the direction you want to move the POI. HMB

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Don't do anything. Set up some straightaway targets and see if you're hitting them on one side. You'll probably find that you're dead center. Very often, holding a gun and shooting at a patterning board will cause a gun to shoot left for a right handed shooter and right for a left handed shooter.

Don't fix something that isn't broke.

11. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I bought a Remington modified barrel that shot a pattern to the right. What hurt more than the barrel not shooting straight was how well I shot the thing for doves. Could not hit anything shooting skeet. I was cutting up with a guy who wanted to buy it and he could not hit anything with it either. I just held to the left and smoked targets. I did not sell him the barrel but I did have some fun with him not being able to shoot. I finally let him in on the secret.

Charlie

12. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

In a DeVault clinic I attended on guy's gun shot to the right, but when he went to real targets he smoked 'em all. Why change anything in that situation?

I've had 2 chokes now that shot to the left. New choke, no problem.

Gun fit important too.

More testing called for. Let us know where you go with this.

13. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Dickg could be right. When your shooting at paper, as you squeeze the trigger, you might subconsciously be tightening your grip on the forearm anticipating recoil. This little bit of tightening will cause a left handed shooter to shoot right and a right handed shooter to shoot left. As others have stated, put the shotgun on a rest and keep hand off forearm. Wayne

14. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

Just trade if off and get a "liberal" shotgun. That should take care of the problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shooting to the right shotgun

shotgun is shooting to the right

shotgun shooting right

shotgun shooting to right

shotgun shoots to the right

shotgun shots to the right
trap shooting to the rigjt
what causes a shotgun to shoot to the right