1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun Shell with Magnetized Pellets

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MTA Tom, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

United States Patent 5095831

"A shotgun shell loaded with steel shot utilizes a number of magnetized steel pellets intermixed in the load in order to form clusters of pellets as the load is discharged from the shell to thereby improve the shot pattern of relatively lightweight steel shot, steel being less dense than lead. The magnetized steel pellets may be either randomly mixed throughout the load or concentrated in one or more areas of the load. If concentrated in the middle of the load, a much larger cluster of shot is believed to be expelled from the gun barrel upon discharge of the shell. A Teflon™ or the like coating may be applied to the steel shot, or lubricants included in the load in order to lubricate the inside of the barrel and reduce any increased tendency of the magnetized shot to wear or abrate the barrel as the shot is discharged therefrom."

2. byteme

byteme TS Member

Sounds like snake oil. What keeps the magnetized pellets from sticking to or moving slower along the barrel surface throwing the pattern off?

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I've shot shells like that before and they suck ... they almost killed me and a few others that were trying them. Maybe it was due to them being preproduction trial evaluation samples but they were dangerous as hell.

The manufacture sent us some to try and give feedback on and I dont think they got the information they wanted to hear. The dang magnetized pellets were either so magnetized or there were so many of them in the load that we had problems of having the wad stuck in the barrel 3 out of 5 shots. We noticed that when we knocked out the wad that about 1/2 the shot was also still in the barrel as well. No the shot was not stuck into the wad but it was so magnetized that it stuck to the barrel and stayed in the barrel and thusly stopping the wad behind the magnetized shot.

We dont really know about patterns or anything like that cause we gave up on the stuff and went back to our normal unmagnetized trilinium shot that the aliens of Alpha Sentory sent us on the transfer supply ship.

Oh well ... believe the mumbo jumbo marketing hype if you desire but if you do your about as daft as ... as ... magnetized shot sticking in the barrel because of over magnetization ... yeah not even I would believe this story.

4. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

joe, please referance the "Does it really hurt, when you're stupid?" thread,,,

5. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Gee, I wonder if magnetized clay pigeons would attract steel pellets......Rick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.