Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shotgun Shell Storage

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MasterBlaster 
#1 ·
Live in southeastern Wisconsin. Took advantage of the sale at Dunhams and purchase shells for next year. Will have them all shot up by next Sept. Question is "Is it OK to store them in a attached unheated garage over winter?" Is this good, bad or makes no difference? Any opinions?

#2 ·
Very bad ... very very bad ... I would like you to know that it is so bad that you should not store them there but instead store them at my place. I will be more than happy to store them and let you also know how well they shoot and how many birds they have broken. ;-)

It really would be no problem at all ... BTW what deal did Dunhams have?

G
#4 ·
As long as your storage area is dry with good ventilation, you shouldn't have any problems. Poorly ventilated area's tend to stay damp and the carboard boxes start to act like a sponge soaking up moisture in the air.

ec90t

#6 ·
They have Federal Top Gun for 39.99 a flat. Not the greatest deal bur who knows what the price will be next year. Was told that Sportsmens Warehouse had a deal were you brought $500.00 of ammo and you received a $150.00 gift card to use at a later date. If this is true a flat of shells would cost about $31-$32.00. That's a great deal, better than Dunhams.

#7 ·
I live in Minnesota and have stored mine outside in my equipment storage shed as well as in my basement. No difference and no problems. I asked this question of a large well known supplier/distributor of shells and equipment and he put it this way. "Our shells are manufactured year around "Minnesota" (guess who) and are then placed either in temporary storage (outside) or into a semi trailer (which is not climate controlled) and then delivered to another warehouse anywhere in the country (hot, cold or other). SO these thousands of shells go through many climatic changes during storage and delivery and we do not see any adverse effects." My take on it is as stated previously. Keep them dry and off the floor but temperature doesn't seem to play much into dependability. I could be wrong but I have had no problems in 21 years of registered shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.