1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun Shell Question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Nov 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have recently moved into a new place, so the best place for me to keep my shells is in the shop unattached from house. It is insulated, but with the colder temps in Kentucky, it will be cold inside during winter. I have heard stories/rumors of shotgun shells having bloopers when shot after being in a cold environment. Is this fact or fiction?

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Take a case at a time into the house and work out of those.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Only certain powders and I've never had much problems and I'm more North than you. As stated above, store in your shop and bring a case or two in to shoot from. They only blooper when expised to extreme prolonged cold. They warm up and shoot fine. At least this is my experience and I use to store all mine in a sparsely insulated garage.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Think about it,,,,, where--how---when----how long were those stored before you bought them?????? Have you ever hunted in cold ie 32 degrees F or colder?? Being from Northern Iowa I've hunted ie sat in duck blinds etc. in some pretty cold temps and never had any trouble. Now if you left them out in your truck overnight @ -20 degrees all bets are off. wireguy & grntitan have the right info.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Kentucky?? Cold???? I suppose cold is a relative term.

But you may have weak shells if you reload and use something like Green Dot in weenie loads. Use a fast powder and keep your pressures up at 8000-8500 psi and you should not see a difference.

Factory shells will be fine as they do not load low pressure rounds - likely for this reason, and to save a few tenths of cent per shell by using faster powders that will be the job with lower charge weights.

Don Verna

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Shells lose their efficiency the colder they are. I got that from a ballistics dude who worked for Winchester.

7. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Yes Kentucky gets cold. Beig raised there, I can tell you temps of "0" and even below are NOT all that uncommon! Three suggestions.AS grntitan suggest, store your shells in a warmer area allowing ample time before use. Work out a small amount as mentioned above.--- Use faster burning powders. As Don mentioned above, small powder charges of slow burning powder sometimes gives a problem.---- Avoid using tappered wads in straight walled hulls. Some of the powder will sometimes "migrate" pass the wad.This becomes more of a problem in cold weather. This has happened to me on ocassion in the past.

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Leave overnight in the house. Years ago someone on this board did a test and said it takes several hours to bring shells up to room temperature. That is what he recommended.

I've seen some keep shells while at the range in an insulated cooler (minus 0 degree weather). Taking out a box at a time.

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I store my shells in an outside workshop. But, in the winter I bring in a weeks supply at a time into the house. I have experienced the bloopers with weenie loads as described when left in the cold. It will happen.

10. shadow

shadow Active Member

I can well remember 23 below zero in Kentucky ! The year was 1952. My Dad had one of the very few cars in town that started that morning...a 1950 Chevy.

11. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Cold ammo does equate to lower chamber pressures and in the extreme it can lead to bloopers. (probably not with factory ammo). The simple and best solution is to do as Matt said and bring what ever ammo you think you might use into the house a day or so before you go to the shoot.

That being said, I have been on a few ND pheasant hunts where we just left our ammo, guns, etc. in the truck overnight in -20 weather and then went out the next day to kill more roosters - the shells may have been a little slower but the roosters didn't know it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.