1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun Shell Info

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SanDiegoShooter, Apr 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SanDiegoShooter

SanDiegoShooter TS Member

Hello everyone. I am interested in finding out more information regarding target shotgun shells. Can anyone direct me to where I might find information that explains the difference for example between Remington Gun Club, STS, and Nitro. I have been to Remington's web site and seen the specc's. But all 3 are listed in the same size, dram etc... I am more interested in a trap shooters opinion. Are the more expensive shells truly worth the money? Especially if you do not reload. And if they are why? People say Nitro's are the best for handicap...Why? I have heard the arguments that all the really good shooters use (insert shell name here). But I would suggest all the really good shooters people refer too usually are getting substantial discounts on the shells from the manufacturer. I am trying to justify the added expense to my shooting budget but am having a hard time finding the information in black and white. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

-Mike

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is important to find the shell that your gun likes. You wouldn't want to give it indigestion. A happy gun is the surest way to good scores. HMB

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I took several shells apart when starting to reload. Remingtons things I noticed. The gun clubs, I have found many gun clubs with all the different Reminton wads from the white with many buffer holes to the fig8 and TGT12s. Also have noticed different looking powders. And the shot, well its always a mix of sizes,graphite and non graphite also no so round shot. As far as being softer shot???? I cant test that. STS over nitros? all depends on the FPS. I can tell you buy my records that I get lower scores with gun clubs, Maybe thats becouse I shoot them for fun and practice. I also got a few lots of gun club that had a different primer with the steel colored bas and brass colored primercap? I had a run of piss poor gun clubs, missing primer caps , bulged cases, missing shells. I email Remington and got a 25 card for dicks for my problems. TIP if your going to do this have the case #s lot #s all ready for them. I waited 4 months for the 25 bucks but got it. For the most part, have someone load your gun for you with ramdom shells, see if you can tell. My browning Gold cycles STS/Nitros better and longer than gun clubs. Right now I buy the least exspensive shells I can find. thats Estates right now.

4. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

not sure but i think leo still shoots the challenger brand shells. they are a lower priced shell that i too have shot and thought they were jst as good as the nitro 27 and sts. if i was trying to decide what shell to shoot for competition i would buy a cpl boxes of several diferent brands and #1 pattern,#2compare felt recoil, and #3 reloadability and/orresale of once fired hulls if not going to reload them. my2cents. dave

5. mike T

mike T Member

-Mike

I would say shoot what ever cheap shells you want for 16's and first shot of doubles. As stated many time most anything will work for 16's A few people are using 7/8 oz for 16's. I would use the higher end shells for handicap especially if you are beyond the 22 yard line.
    I have shot gunclub shells at 16's and done o.k. I don't think they do as well as the STS or Nitro or AA but they still break the targets. The targets if I am on them just blow up more with the higher end shells. But by shooting the cheaper ones I can shoot more. I like Nitro's for handicap. They must pattern better the gunclubs. I shoot a 682 combo and an old 1100 step rib full.
    So I would shoot the cheap shells for 16's And first shot of doubles (or reloads) and the higher end new ones for handicap. and maybe the 2nd shot of doubles. (still playing around with the doubles thing).

mike t

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It takes a long time to determine what works best in you gun with your shooting style. Every gun and every shell (new or reload) is different. To really get it right you must pattern and chronograph each and every one through your gun. This is not a simple undertaking. Most guys work on it their whole shooting life. I have, and of course, I now have the perfect load, until another better perfect load comes along.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

One note, keep a log of what you shoot and your scores. Maybe a head game for some. I prefer STS. I really do not shoot a lot of handicap so no real info their.

8. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

There just is NO black and white answer to your question. I would chose the cheaper shells as long as they did not stick in my chamber and were fast enough for my shooting style.

Hi Eddie .

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Want a good cheap shell, i kinda forgot about these. The Remington Gameloads are great for sporting clays. They go on sale at the end of hunting season here. Seems the pictures of pheasant and rabbits dont sell much after hunting season. Got 5 flats for 40.00each last year 25/box. not the universal high FPS 20 to a box ones, all though those a great to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.