1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun shell explodes in Clark man

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Steamboat Springs — A 21-year-old Clark man suffered severe hand injuries Tuesday after the shotgun shell he was taking apart exploded, according to the Routt County Sheriff’s Office.

Undersheriff Ray Birch said North Routt Fire Protection District firefighters and deputies learned about the accident at about 4 p.m.

Birch said Keith West told deputies that he was working in his shed in the 56000 block of Lupine Drive off Seedhouse Road when the accident occurred. West reported he was using a Dremel power tool to take apart the shell, which he thought no longer was a live round. The tool hit the round’s primer, igniting the round.

West then went to a neighbor’s house for help.

Birch said deputies found an old, brass, 10-gauge shotgun shell in the shed, but they were unable to recover any of West’s fingers. Investigator T.J. Sisto reported West was missing parts of his thumb, index and middle fingers on his left hand, which West was using to hold the round.

http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2012/aug/21/shotgun-shell-explodes-clark-mans-hands/

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

You can't fix stupid.

3. johnboy

johnboy Member

Assumption is the mother of all screw ups.

4. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

Probably loaded with black powder. Stupid people get hurt (and die) in stupid ways.

5. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Just natures way of cleaning the gene pool. John

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Bet he don't do that again. At least not with that hand anyway.

7. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

yes,blackpowder and probably the carborundum cut off disk for the dremel.
    friction,heat,sparks,explosion.if it was smokeless i dont think it would be loss of fingers,but a good burning of flesh.just a guess.everyone should read Hatchers notebook on these type news reports.maybe more to it.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Shows just how long blackpowder stays potent..if stored correctly, a darn long time!

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Makes me wonder if the common knowledge that a shotgun cartridge not fully supported in the chamber will just go poof is true of solid brass casings as well.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

wireguy,

If it is indeed black powder, that's a whole different ball game. Black powder can be highly explosive under the right or wrong circumstances. Smokeless is much more safe.

11. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Good thing he wasn't resting it on his toe-pad.LOL

12. William681

William681 Member

A comment on CalvinMD's remark about longevity of black powder.

Older brother had a conversion of a Trapdoor Rifle made into a "Pirate" pistol.

He also had some original 45-70 rounds, some standard 405gr lead, and a dozen 3 ball rounds.

Shot those shells off in the early 60's, boy was brother pissed, but they all went bang.

Think a .44 mag is a handfull, hold on to a cutdown 45-70, we laughed like Hyenas.

"Smoke" puts some strange stories on here, but I tell you, if youth today did things we did, our parents would be in jail, and we all would have a major team of analyists working to straighten us out. (at govt expense of course)

Ask about the home-made "depth charges" that cracked the pool.

Bill

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Kind of reminds me of the guy that was siphoning gas from a gas tank. He said, he could not see how full his gas can was, so he used his lighter so he could see. Needless to say he got caught. Oh, and also severely burned, literally.

14. rob m

rob m TS Member

You guys are brutal. The kid just lost his fingers. I remember when I was 21 I did Stupid things and you probably did too!!! So give him a break and give some good advise instead of NEGATIVE COMMENTS!!!
    Rob

15. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Rob,

There where many things that I have done with explosives, and flammable materials when we where young, just to see what happens. Never to anyone's property, or possessions I might add. Trust me, I am not making light of the incident. I think sometimes some people get so caught up in the outcome of doing something, that they do not think of the consequences during the journey. Jon

16. Redbone311

Redbone311 TS Member

Who says you can't fix stupid?
    Stupid fixes itself!
    Should not have done away with the old pressure treated (arsenic based) wood either. If your kid is that dumb that he is eating pressure treated wood, he should die. He's too dumb to live. Part of the natural selection process. Moron will only walk in front of a car or something now anyway.

17. Franktri

Franktri Member

I take apart live shells all the time BUT: NEVER use a dremel; NEVER cut near primer. The answer is just plain stupidity caused this accident..

18. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

I suppose all you guys that are smart have PHD's, never make mistakes, and live just perfect lives.

19. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"Think a .44 mag is a handfull, hold on to a cutdown 45-70, we laughed like Hyenas. "</i>

I fired some of my 500 grain 45-70 blackpowder loads in a friend's 11" Thompson Contender. Calling it a "handful" is an understatement.

Anyway, feel sorry for the guy. Harsh lesson to learn. Had a friend who blew off his middle finger by using real gunpowder in a carbide cannon.

20. quartering

quartering Active Member

good advice? sue dremel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.