1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun Pitch

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brad Dysinger, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Dave Berlet and me were trying to answer a question on here last week about pitch in a shotgun. Both of us are better talkers than typists so if you go to u tube you can view a short 5 minute video we put together to explain what we were talking about regarding zero pitch.

If you type in Brad Dysinger Pitch or Dave Berlet Pitch it should come up. Let us know if it helps. Brad

2. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Try this for some great information! Thanks Brad and Dave!!

Hap

3. mad_dawg

mad_dawg Member

But who has a shoulder pocket exactly parallel to the butt plate like a cabinet top? Won't the individual's mount dictate the necessary pitch? Does a zero pitch gun give the bore the same alignment on forward-leaning, skinny guy with concave chest, vs the normal, barrel-chested (and bellied) trapshooter? Measuring a static gun is one thing, fit to shooter another it would seem.

4. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    Dave and Brad - Beautifully done and absolutely right in my opinion. Thanks for posting. Great video.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Thanks for the video but I will continue to shoot my trap guns the way they are because they do not kick me in the cheek at all. The top and bottom of my Kick-Eez recoil pad contacts my shoulder pocket at the same time and I am barrel chested and I need some down pitch or else the toe of the pad will gouge my shoulder pocket in a painful way.

6. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    And I for one would absolutely agree with you Mike, because you've found a pitch which is working well for you. Another way of dealing with the same problem is to use less pitch, but twist the recoil pad into the pocket in your shoulder in order to eliminate being poked by the toe of the pad, or possibly sand some off of the toe of the pad (roll off the toe). What's important here (in my opinion) is not that little or no pitch is right for everyone, but that for those who are struggling with face bump to be aware of what the gentlemen say in the video. It too is an option to be carefully considered, and while not right for everyone, is right for many, at least in my experience. Mike

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Brad/Dave. I have a friend that is a many time All American shooter. He doesn't have any problem with a bruised shoulder or any cheek slap, nothing uncomfortable............. BUT his style of "round back" and "hard forward lean" makes his gun's pad wear a small (about an 1 1/2') hole in all his vests and tears about an inch of a full thickness piece off of the urethane pads that he prefers. Sometimes he goes through two or three pads a shooting season.

I say he needs some positive pitch. What think you?

8. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Barry, in fact I have shot positive pitch on and off some over over the years. I shoot more off my arm than my shoulder pocket but I think I understand what you mean about your friend.

I've messed around with stock fit a lot over the years, cast on, cast off, no cast, shorter and longer, down pitch, no pitch, positive pitch. I'd advise any shooter to try a little of everything and see what works.

Dave is the stock man a lot more than I am, what do you think Dave? Brad

9. Dave Berlet

Dave Berlet Active Member

Look at the difference between Brads build and style and mine and we both go with 0 pitch. The nearer that your gun is to 0 pitch the more the gun wants to recoil in a straight line toward your shoulder. I guess if its not broke don't fix it. If you have a cheek recoil problem move the but toward 0 pitch not away from it. The bottom line is that stock fit is not an exact science and it needs to be dealt with on an individual basis and common sense.

Dave

10. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nobody has yet addressed the effect of pitch on shot placement on two shot and/or low gun games. Another whole subject, not germane to trapshooting.

11. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

EuroJoe, My field guns are all zero pitched. I'm so used to shooting a trap stock that I shoot them better. If I tried to shoot that side by side from the video I couldn't hit anything.

I love side by sides but don't shoot them well, a combination of too much down pitch and two wide of a sighting plane. Those two tubes in front of my face really make my dominate left eye take over and my shooting goes to crap.

Brad

12. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I'll give you a couple of examples: Went to 5" of down pitch on 28" Krieghoff 32, on advice from Phil Provence, coach of USAMU at Ft.Benning,during Gulf coast Champs.in 1977. When mounting gun from full low gun position, it stops the gun from rising above the target line. Very easy to shoot over High 1, low 6,and hlps stay on line when shooting doubles.Worked pretty good, I won IL &WI state championships later that year.
    Zero or even up pitch is desireable for driven game, duck shooting, etc. because bbl.tends to rise, which is a good thing, and comes to the shoulder easily. Two shot games, flyers, the bird is usually rising if missed, bbl. rising not a bad thing, same with hunting scenarios.More importantly, you want it to stay in place between shots, i.e.bunker, etc.
    The problem with that old double is so much drop at the comb, as well as the down pitch, your head would have to be well off the stock to look down the bbls.

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Brad/Dave:

Thanks for making/posting that video. It was informative.

I also like the decor wherever you taped it, LOL. Looks like a place I'd feel very comfortable.

-Gary

14. JT 27

JT 27 Member

Brad,
    Back in the '70s, Trap & Field had a "Question for the All-Americans" section. Stock pitch was a question to which Leo answered, "I don't know what it is and I don't care" or something close. I can't remember whether you were queried about pitch or not. With enough skill and a soft shooting gun I suppose it would not affect you on singles. Didn't you and Leo or Morrie S. make a video back then, with some tongue in check humor.

15. Brad Dysinger

Brad Dysinger Member

Yes we did VHS tapes {2} in the early 80's. I can't remember if that was a question I answered or not but I like to think I learned a lot about shooting since them.

The background in our video is my club house at Thorn Bottom Hunting.

Brad

16. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

The pitch angle should match the angle of your shoulder. Zero pitch don't work for every one because of the body shape and shooting style.

17. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Bruce Buck, an international shooter and coach, says 0-pitch is just fine. I followed his advice to the extent that my guns all have at least some visible down-pitch but not much. For me it makes for a near recoil free experience. With a recent SxS purchase the gun went from +/-6" down-pitch to less than 2" and from a face slapping MFer to as nice a gun to shoot as I could want. When I get the new stock I have for it fitted up it will get less than 1" down-pitch.

so

works for me and def worth a try for you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
pitch on a shotgun barrel

shotgun pitch

shotgun pitch and large chests
shotgun pitch what is normal
shotgun stock pitch
shotgun twisting because of pitch
shotgunpitch