1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun Patterning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hawk46, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

When patterning a gun for trap, is it best done at 25 yards with the beads aligned?

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

I like to pattern at the distance I hit targets. I am not quick enough to hit them at 25 yards (expect for first shot of doubles). If you are, go for it.

Don Verna

3. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

I was told you want to pattern at the distance that you break the targets. This is somewhere 30 - 35 yard shooting from the 16.

Bryan

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

To do what?

5. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Skeet, for trap. I've often thought of hanging the target from a tree at 35 yards and patterning it as the gun comes up to my natural shooting stance and bead alignment.

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

So you are POI testing? If so, 25 yards will work. 16 yards would be better for a couple of reasons.

If you are eye-ball pattern testing, you'll want to shoot at the distance you are breaking your targets.

7. Calkidd

POI, would be at 13 yards. This will give you a reference point to where your gun is shooting. I believe he said pattern and judging by the distance he made reference too I am assuming he wanted to see the "pattern" of his shotgun.

Bryan

8. peteodie

peteodie Member

you might want to look at the url I attached it has some good info

http://www.easterncoyotes.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=1

9. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Hawk, I hope you have some of the information you need from Neils site. I am spoiled and live very close to a couple of trap ranges, so I like to pattern my gun on targets. I wait for a day when the wind is very light or out of the south, we shoot north, so the wind doesn't effect my pattern. I don't think people realize how much wind moves a pattern at 30 or 40 yards. We set the trap so it is the right level and speed and then start shooting straight aways with a full choke. I then move my POI towards the chips, in other words if the chips or pieces are going up I move my POI up, if the chips are going right I move my POI to the right. Keep in mind that even though you are getting good hits you may still be a little off, I shoot a round or two to make sure that I am centering most of my targets. Harlan says you should raise your POI tell you get good smoke, then raise it again, this centers your pattern. John Moore 8703697

10. Calkidd

I can understand your process of patterning your gun John, but to me this does not seem to be an accurate/productive way to find out how your gun patterns. It makes much more sense to put it on paper thus allowing you to carefully examine how the gun patterns or where it shoots.

Another note, how are you moving your POI from left to right? If your gun is shooting to the left or right I would re-examine where my eye alignment is and how I am anchoring my cheek to the stock. Or to make sure there isn't some funky barrel action going on.

Bryan

11. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

As I have mentioned when this topic has come up before, another part of the observation of the pattern is the target breaking distance. I like to set up piles of old targets at 5 yard increments behind the trap machine. Someone can then stand downrange (and way over to the side) and observe where the target breaks relative to the piles of targets. Note: if the observer is left of the house, please don't shoot any of the left targets, you might qualify for some form of "redneck" award.

d

12. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Bryan, I have a coustom stock with a adjustable comb and pad, I have to adjust a little depending on how much weight I have gained or lost. I maybe doing something different when I shoot targets as opposed to punching paper from a bench rest, but I am only interested in breaking as many targets as I can. I guess I should tell you I don't have anywhere near a figure 8 and my beads line up pretty good, my main goal is to have my gun shoot where I am looking, when I am shooting targets. John Moore

13. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

You guys are being very helpful and sorry for the confusion in my question. I was actually interested in both the best way to pattern my guns on cardboard (yardage-bead alignment) and determining POI at range on a target.

Mark, thank you for the PM, very helpful also.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The POI is determined at 13 yards. Pattern density: Well I pattern at 30 and 40 yards. Based on what the DryFire computer system tells me, that's where my average breaks occur.

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Patterning at 16 yard works nicely because a 1/16" change to your stock generally gives a 1" change in POI at 16 yards. That generally produces a 2" change at 32 yards.

16. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Unless you are consistently missing 5 birds or more per 25 bird round, I believe patterning is a waste of time.

I think you will be much better served by locking the thrower in the center position, start on post 3, and shoot your way "around the clock".

bluedsteel

17. John Browning

John Browning TS Member

Hawk if you can find Feb. 2009 issue of Trap&Field Frank Hoppe and Phil Kiner have excellent articles about setting up your POI. I really liked it when Frank wrote, that expecting a particular sight picture,(figure-8) can get in the way of ajusting a gun to shoot were you need it to shoot John Moore

18. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

Buy harlan's video, he explains how to pattern and set up a "neutral" gun worked for me!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun patterning stand