1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shotgun like a stoeger-gamba

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by numa, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. numa

numa TS Member

Hello, I am a bit new here, and figured this would be a good place to fire off a general question. I'm currently shooting in a couple of handicap leagues, and have been using a 870wingmaster-20ga-full (large receiver) for practice, and then shooting on league nights with my 870wingmaster-12ga-mod (TB). I'm shooting better and more consistently than I ever did with over/unders and SxS. Years ago when I first learned to shoot, I was shooting an old Stoeger-Gamba single barrel, the gun moved well, and it worked for me. It appears I could reacquire such a single barrel gun on GB for a couple grand, however, I have not yet seen a 20ga version, and keeping with my tendency to shoot 20ga in practice and an identical 12 in sport, I would like to keep doing that. Also as I recall the stoeger I shot was not particularly reliable, and seemed to visit the gunsmith on a regular basis.

So, what I'm looking for is a modern gun, interchangable chokes, something created 'recently' that is reliable, and possibly available in 20ga also. So, ideas?

I have been out of the sport for long enough I really don't know what is available.

As far as fit, well, 870 wingmasters fit me perfect, and mine work well for me even though they don't even have a rib.

Thanks for any help, Kris Bodenheimer.

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I don't know of any 20ga. single bbl trap guns but why limite yourself to shooting a 20?....there are plenty of Browning BT-99's out there for sale at good prices and if recoil is an issue, shoot 1oz. loads...plus 12 ga. ammo is cheaper than 20.....

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I would take "ljutic73" advice and get a used Browning BT99 12ga and maybe practice with 7/8 or 1oz loads and then go to full 12ga 1 1/8oz loads for competition. This will simulate the 20ga practice 12ga comp you are used too. It will also probably be cheaper and in the long run you'll end up with higher scores. Just my 2 cents worth anyway.---Matt

4. numa

numa TS Member

Shooting lighter 7/8 or 1 oz loads is a great suggestion, however...
    I don't (at this time) reload, nor do I have time/interest in going down that path. Between work, and marathon training, getting to shoot a few times a week is time intensive as it is. I typically buy cheapest ammo available, as my ammo costs far outstrip the value of my firearms. figure $10/round of trap ($5 box of shells, $5 trap fee) and shooting on average 20 rounds of trap a week at 2 different clubs, well, you get the picture. So, in order to get 7/8oz 12ga loads, I don't really know of anywhere local that offers such a thing at a cheap price, though I will definitely look the next time I goto the store and perhaps that is the path I should take.

By my calculations, (and this is from the standpoint of pure energy calc...)

a 20ga 7/8oz at 2.5dr is approx 1225lb-ft, the commonly available to me 12ga 1oz 3.25dr (1290fps) is approx 1,616lb-ft.

This discussion is certainly making me reconsider the idea of reloading. Perhaps I should explore this.

Here's a link to my chart that I just added the 12ga to.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AiCiZOsM2c1KcHlBRFMteVNuWHNoUGRicGV2anFCV0E&hl=en&output=html

The BT99 is a valid suggestion and will try to find one to play with for an afternoon or 2.

5. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

practice with what you shoot in competition, otherwise it's not practice at all, just amusement.

6. fish and teach

fish and teach TS Member

Stoeger makes a 12/20 ga combo that I'm looking at. You use the same receiver and just change out the barrels. They use the Browning Invector chokes so they're easier to find than some of the other chokes out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
gamba stoeger
stoeger gamba

stoeger single barrel trap gun

stoeger single barrel trap gun by gamba