1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun Lenses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ColtM1911A1, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I'm in the market to replace my non-prescription shooting lenses with prescription lenses. After 62 years, I need a very minor prescription to make the clays crystal clear ( I do not require glasses to drive or general walking around -- however, I do need reading glasses). I live in Minnesota and shoot primarily in this area...

I need your vote for what color lenses would be best. I plan to order three (3) pair over the next few years, but need your vote on the best tints to buy and in order of purchase. So, please, give me your opinions on the tints (in order) that you couldn't do without. I'm thinking light orange, light purple, and a light bronze.

What say you?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Depends a lot if you are colorblind or not.

ss

3. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

For my RX I use the Light Purple the most. Then Vermillion is
    next for me.
    I have the Ranger Sporters so all I do is change the color, Rx is
    behind that.
    Leo Harrison III uses his Purple the most also.

Mike C.
    Groveland, CA

4. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

All people do not see all colors the same. You need to talk to someone in the vision field and find out what you see in different colors for the different backgrounds you'll be shooting in.

Ajax

5. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Contact Wayne at Morgan Optical, not only can he give the best advice based on a description of your shooting circumstances, but also very competetive pricing for new glasses.

Robert

6. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Cunninmp:

That's exactly what I'm doing now, but all that junk from two pair of glasses right where your eyes look can be trying at times. My Ranger set has 10 tints, but I find I use only about four of them for all situations: orange #45, light purple #47, bronze (brown) #44, and vermillion #46. I' certain I could get by with 2 or 3 tints with prescriptions...

Before my eyes weakened a small bit, I just put whatever tint I wanted in the frame and went off to the line. But now when I stack the clear prescription frames behind the Ranger frames there are a lot of junk between my eye and the target. It works okay, but I know a single frame with dedicated tint and prescription would be the best....thanks, fellows, for chiming in. More ideas would be appreciated.....

7. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Colt,
    Yes sometimes the 2 lenses can be a little of a pain, but my Rx is
    a little over a +5. So for me these work well. Also at my age
    (68yo) with the possibility of changing Rx every 2 to 3 years,
    I could not afford that.
    So I have light yellow for under the lights (work great), the
    vermillion for some clubs with a busy background, and purple and
    CMT's for most of my shooting.
    That's the reason I went with the Sporters. Sounds like your Rx
    is very mild, so you won't have to change very often.
    Good luck in your search for the right color.

Mike C.

8. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Call Mike Rinard at Post4 Optics and talk with him. He'll help you figure out which color(s) you should try.

He is most likely at the Grand but his number is 1.800.833.6362. Also make awesome frames out of titainium.

Brownk80

9. LTB45

LTB45 Member

I get my perscription shooting glasses from my local Lenscrafters. The optician there is a shooter and makes me a custom blend of orange and yellow dye for all my shooting needs. If I did not shoot pistol as well with these, I would probably go for the straight orange for clay bustin'

10. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

This is very much a matter of personal perception, not all that different from fitting a stock. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another.

The best way to find out which color works best for you is to hold up different colored lenses in front of your eye while looking at flying targets, and see what you like.

FWIW, I've tried several different colors, and what I find is they give varying levels of brightness of the background, but not a lot of difference in actually seeing/identifying/following a target. You can see this best by using a yellow lens - with a yellow hue the entire view seems much brighter, but when you focus on the target, it's not a lot easier to see/acquire than with any other color, at least not for me.

I bought a new set of glasses from Mike Rinard very recently. What I received was a pair of glasses that fit me well, had the prescription perfectly positioned, and are very comfortable. The color he recommended was a bronzish hue, which seemed to illuminate the entire field view and the targets very well. But the more I shoot with them the more I feel that the new color isn't all that different in terms of target acquisition, etc. from either the yellow or magenta lenses I already have. They are very nice, comfortable glasses, and I'm not sorry I bought them, but the new color did not effect a significant change in how my eye picks up a target. Your mileage may vary.

Ted K.

11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

ColtM:

Ditto what RobertT recommended... I've had a number of my guys use Wayne Morgan with great success for their Rx work...

I use corrective contacts set for distance so I can continue my use of plano lenses, but if the colors you've been using in plano are working - why change the colors, just add Rx and have them dyed to match...

Jay

12. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Thanks, Gentlemen, for all the responses - good advice....

13. Ken Brandt

Ken Brandt Active Member

Colt;

Since your in Minnesota try Third Street Optical in Bemidji. David and his staff will do you up right. He is a Decot dealer and travel's to alot of shoots in the mid-west. Come on down to the Heartland Grand at Stockdale's over labor day. I believe he will be set up there.

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.