1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun laser boresighter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by flyguysdad, Oct 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flyguysdad

flyguysdad TS Member

Does anyone make a good laser bore sighter for shotguns, that has a fairly decent range in daylight? How do the ones installed in the chamber work for finding POI?

2. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

flyguy;I use one all the time to check poi.Ithas a brass shell that is hollow into which you have a small shell like that the laser is in and it fits into the brass shell like the primer in a shell.It works well in the basement or garge orr even a cloudy day outside.I always check a new gun with it and try to se the poi to where it matches a gon I shoot well love it and will never be with out it.

3. steele

steele TS Member

I have found the chamber fit lazers are very inconsistant. There are four of us at the club who have them & each one has a different POI in the same gun.
    I don't think they fit tight enough in different chambers to give a consistant POI. If the chamber is a little larger than the lazer housing, or the headspace is off a little, the lazer will "sag" down a little, producing an erroneous POI. This isn't to say they won't work, but changing from gun to gun will probably not give the reading you are looking for. Just my experience with them. Butch from Pgh

4. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

There is nothing that that will will give you exact poi. Only bench rest and pattering board but the lazer is great to use as you would use a bore sighter with a rifel scope.I will get you in close. ALL SO rember after bench and board you must shoot the board off hand to see that the way you hold the gun makes a differnce allso.

5. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

I cut o-ring grooves in my sight mark laser to make it center in the chamber. I also made peeps that center in the choke to make sure the chamber is centered and in line with the choke.
    [​IMG]

6. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

i use one to get a "close" idea on a barrel-- have had similar debates but over all, i think its a great tool--bot mine at cabelas-- pm me your address and i will snail mail you a sheet i have for poi in 20ft room --wally riebesell

7. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Limpy is right. It is a good set up for a laser. Aimshot laser bore sight. go to aimshot-sales.com

8. BB2506

BB2506 TS Member

here is what works , put an emtpy shell with the primer removed in the end of the barrel adjust the laser to shine threw

9. illtrap1

illtrap1 Member

I bought one from Dillon it has O rings for rifles and O rings and different ends for 20 and 12 guauge shotguns,I know right where a gun shoots I use it in my gun club.about 10 yards with the pattern boards they give you,it has a cone magenet that holds it in place in your barrel. about 6" high is about 80/20. I know this from patterning at 40 yds. then comparing it to my distance on my wall and 6" high equals that.I had mine for about 15 yrs or longer,Dan Drainer

10. steele

steele TS Member

Don't forget, if you are using it in a barrel that bends to change POI, ( K-guns. Rottweils),you will not get a good vertical impact center, due to the fact you are centering off the breech.

11. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The ones that fit into the chamber tell you how the chamber is aligned as compared to the line of sight, nothing more. I have one and it does not correspond to the POI on most guns. Knock out a primer from a 20ga hull and put it in the muzzle to see if it even comes out near the center of the bore. It doesn't on my TMX.

12. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Thyere is only one way to check the Laser that inserts in the chamber, remove the Bbl, put it in a fixture to hold it, install the laser and turn it on now rotate the laser that is in a shell housing and the laser projection will not rotate or move, it should stay fixed, if the laser projection moves when the laser is twisted or turned it is a defective laser unit ..

Also if the Bbl is bent it will not show a correct POI.

To check if Bbl is straight, cut off the plastic 20 Gauge shell remove the primer, cut off the plastic of a 12 gauge shell remove the primer.

Install the 20 Gauge shell in the Bbl and the 12 Gausge shell w/primer removed
    and look through the 12 gauge primer hole, the projected rings will all be perfectly round and the same thickness in a straight bbl.

If they are smaller at the top and wider at the bottome the Bbl is bent up and will shoot higher that applies to nall the projected rings except when the Bbl is bent closer to the muzzle.

Always carry a pair of these hulls when buying a used gun to check Bbl straightness.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
12gauge lazer shell
laser bore sight for trap practice
laser shotgun shell

laser trapshooting

shotgun sight trap shooting training