1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun Gun Incident

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Recoil Problems, Jul 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

An incident was reported at the Cookstown (Ontario) Shooting Club on July 25th.
    "A SHOOTING RANGE ACCIDENT IN COOKSTOWN, YESTERDAY RESULTED IN TWO PEOPLE BEING TAKEN TO HOSPITAL. SOUTH SIMCOE POLICE SAY THAT A 53 YEAR OLD TORONTO WOMAN'S SHOTGUN ACCIDENTLY DISCHARGED, SENDING PELLETS BLASTING TO THE CEMENT FLOOR BEFORE BOUNCING INTO THE SHIN AND LEG OF THE TWO ACCIDENT VICTIMS. BOTH OF THEM HAVE SINCE BEEN RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL WITH MINOR INJURIES.
    THE WOMAN WHO MISFIRED THE WEAPON FACES A CHARGE OF CARELESS USE OF A FIREARM."

2. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

That's why you never leave the line with a loaded gun. That's why the muzzle is always pointed in a safe direction.

The criminal charge seems excessive if her finger never hit the trigger.

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Regardless of whether her finger touched the trigger or not, she shouldn't have had a loaded gun anywhere except on the firing line which, on all the ones I've seen, doesn't have a concrete floor. Granted, there are usually concrete "strips", but I don't think that's what the article was referring to.

Easystreet

4. Recoil Problems

Recoil Problems TS Member

I thought it happened inside the clubhouse. If some one who was there would explain that would be good too. Cookstown shoots trap , international trap and skeet . I don't know which displine was involved on this day.

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Maybe it was another snapcap type accident, that was in reality a live shell again. Would be nice to see some more info in this. Just glad no one was hurt badly. Break-em all. Jeff

6. ABH

ABH Member

I see this all the time. New shooters having their gun barrel resting on a rubber pad and slamming the action closed. I quickly go over to them and explain the proper way to close your gun. Gun pointed down range and barrels parallel to the ground. Now close it. Then I explain that if the muzzel is on or near the ground, and the sear slips,you basically have a grinade going off at your feet. They get my point very quickly.

ART H.

7. smoking357

smoking357 TS Member

Sarge, aggravated assault requires scienter.

8. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

how did a release trigger get involved????

tony

9. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

This is a very unfortunate occurance and I am glad everyone is OK and that this accident did not turn fatal. As someone else stated " let's not jump to conclusions so fast" I feel terrible for the person charged. There are very few people in the world of shooting sports that can say that they have never ever become complacent at one time or another myself included fortunately most of us were able to catch ourselves and correct the issue before something bad happened. I would like to know the details before passing judgement. If this occured off the firing line then I would agree that this person was in violation of the rules governing the facility and grounds and may be subject to criminal charges.

J.F.

10. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Back off all you back yard lawyers...Get the facts. It's better to remain silent then to speak and prove your ignorance! (Sorry, I don't remember who said that first. Just paraphrasing, not directly quoting) Get ALL the facts!!

Big Jack

11. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

How did a release trigger get involved???? How did a PA felony get involved???

"under pa crimes code this offense could constitute aggravated assault and since agg assault is a felony the five year weapons enhancement would apply."

It say in the original post Ontario.

"An incident was reported at the Cookstown (Ontario) Shooting Club on July 25th."

Talk about blowing it out of proportion.

Bob Lawless

12. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Were Bob and Doug McKenzie involved in this event?

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

I would be glad to comment on this incident as soon as enough information is available to comment on.

Pat Ireland

14. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Accidental discharge,,,,"THE WOMAN WHO MISFIRED THE WEAPON FACES A CHARGE OF CARELESS USE OF A FIREARM."",,,,sounds like Negligent discharge to me....

15. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

The original article.

==============

Two injured after incident at Simcoe-area gun club

Updated: Sat Jul. 24 2010 2:17:45 PM

Two men are being treated for injuries after pellets were discharged from a trap-shooting shotgun operated by a woman practising at the Toronto International Trap & Skeet Shooting Club.

An unknown quantity of pellets was discharged from a shotgun the woman had pointed toward the pavement on Saturday around noon.

The pellets ricocheted off the ground at the club on Sideroad 5 near Innisfil, Ont., hitting one man's leg and another man's chest, said South Simcoe Sgt. Charles Hicks.

Both men were conscious and breathing; they were taken to hospital over concerns pellets could have become lodged beneath their skin, he said.

The woman may face a charge of careless use of a firearm, police said.

16. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

Geez, can you imagine what 3 shots from a high-powered deer rifle would do to a woodchuck? No usable meat left, that's for sure. And how would you have enough woodchuck left for the second let alone third shots?
    Sorry, inquiring minds want to know...

Jeff

17. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

It has been my unfortunate observation that bunker shooters are way more likely to be walking between stations with a shell in the gun than are ATA guys. Easy way to build bad habits and get careless.

I'm just saying .....

Charlie

18. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I didn't notice in the account of the shooting that anyone was walking anywhere. Bad gun handling is unacceptable no matter in which game it is observed. The only shotgun game where I have not seen evidence of occasional bad gun handling is in International Skeet.

19. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Had a woman shooting once who`s gun went off almost every time she closed the action (BT99) . I tried it a few times with no problems . She again had some accidental firings thru the afternoon so we told her to stand down . She sent the gun back to Browning and they could find anything wrong . She comes back to the club and the same thing happens . Told her to stand down again . Come to find out she was squeezing the trigger as she closed the gun ???? Luckily it was always down range and no one was injured . She has since kept her finger off the trigger when closing the gun ! In this case , it may also been the case of trigger finger grip when pulling the gun up from the pad but then again we don`t really know if it was during a shoot or in the parking lot where it should have been unloaded ???? Another reason to close the gun with the gun facing down range .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cookstown shooting sports
cookstown skeet shooting
correct way to vlose a shotgun
skeet injury accidents

toronto international trap and skeet accident