1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Shotgun Grip Caps

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by fitchhall, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitchhall

fitchhall TS Member

Over the years, I have seen a number of very nice personalized shotgun grip caps at the range. I like them for two reasons: the add a nice "personalized" touch and they make it very easy and fast to pick your gun off the rack and head to the line... especially when it is one of a number of very similar guns on the rack.

I did a google search and found only one company that sells these: Lopez Brothers Silver Smith.

Do any of you know of other company's/vendors so I can compare products and prices?

Thank you for your time.
  2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Bill Mains in Greenfield, Indiana does some nice work. He was at a big shoot some years ago when I got acquainted with him and his work.

ss
  3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Bill Mains does excellant work! He attends alot of major trapshoots. I know he was @ the Ohio State in 09.

Matt Woodson
  4. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Active Member

He was at the Silver Dollar for the Dixie Grand, still there, I think.

He attends a lot of major shoots. You walk in, pick out what you like, he measures the area of the gun (i.e. grip), you come back later, he attaches it and you pay him.

Easy to do, nice looking and my wife was happy as this was for her gun for her birthday last year.

Bob
  5. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Member

Try and see Bill Mains--he will make you stand there and wait for him while his eyes never even bother to look up at you--as though you are bothering him!!He is rude and can't be bothered with you. Seen this happen many times--Some of these guys got too wealthy with our money--Take your business to some one that really wants it!!
  6. Model12Lady

Model12Lady Member

Bill Mains is the best. True he may act like you are not there, but he never stops looking at his work and keeps right on engraving while you tell him what you need. Have head several grip caps done by Bill and they were all done by the end of the day they were ordered and one was done while I waited.
  7. PhillyD

PhillyD Member

Dennis Mastrolia,

I have had Bill Mains do work for me a few times. I have always found him to be quite the gentleman and always gave me his full attention when I was at his trailer. If he stopped working everytime someone stopped to talk he would probably never get anything done.
    This last year he made me a grip cap for my Kreighoff. I sold the gun 6 months later. I went back to Bill with the Perazzi I bought and the grip cap off the Kreighoff I sold. He put the grip cap I took off the Kreighoff and put it on my Perazzi for free. He put time into making it fit and never charged me a penny. He's the man to see if you need a grip cap. I've always found him to be a class guy.....................Philly D
  8. amboy49

amboy49 Member

I will enthusiastically echo ALL of the positive comments re: Bill. Dennis - don't know what Bill did to you, but you're in a very decided minority.

Bill did some engraving work for me which was outstanding. The first time I shot the gun the second trigger didn't fire. I called Bill and he drove 40 miles to meet me at the gun club and fixed the problem. ( He'd forgotten something to do something inside the receiver after he put the gun back together ).

Comments are correct re: conversation with Bill. He sets up in a small trailer at the major shoots and works the whole time he is there. Pretty amazing for a man in his 70's. If you're looking for someone to shoot the breeze with at a shoot, he ain't necessarily your guy. If you're serious about having him do some engraving work for you, he will take time to listen to what you want, but he's not going ask about your mother, your dog, your wife, your ATA average or favorite wine. If you need that, get hire a shrink or talk to your wife.
  9. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

I got Lopez Brother grip cap and am dissatisfied with it and have not mounted it on my gun. The metal does not look like silver - it looks like it was cut by a laser, not by human hands. I am unhappy and spent $350.00 bucks. Maybe I should post a photo.
  10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've found Bill to be very personable when he has time to chat. I first met him @ the PA State a couple years ago. Somehow got into a conversation with him, it came up that I was from Rochester NY, and he told me how the very first shoot he'd ever gone to was the World Skeet shoot @ Rochester Brooks back in 1968. Time is money for this guy, and I'm sure he gets more work than he can handle. I don't begrudge him one bit for keeping his nose to the grindstone. I hate to be interrupted even once when I'm really concentrating hard on something, let alone every 5 minutes by all the people that walk in that will never dream of buying anything. His trailer is very well laid out, and alot of questions you could have for him could be answered just by taking a look at the stuff on the walls for a couple minutes. Also, try and step lightly when you walk into his trailer, I'm always afraid some oaf is going to come bounding in and ruin a project he's working on (I'm sure this has happened before).
  11. jbmi

jbmi Active Member

I had Bill do a grip cap for my Kolar at last years Southern Grand. Great guy, fantastic craftman. I mentioned to him I was a retired shop teacher, man did that do the trick. Seems he was a product of a caring shop teacher. Great discussion had a hard time leaving his trailer.
    I'd love to have him do my Colt SAA, he had one there he was working on.
    He was also doing the engraving on brand new Ithaca shotgun receivers. He had a contract to do so many each month. It was a pleasure to watch that man work.
    Nickle/Silver, $125 (?)

[​IMG]
  12. spitter

spitter Active Member

Those who've had Bill Mains do a grip cap, what kind of cap did you have commissioned and approx. how much was it?!

regards and thanks!

Jay
  13. grunt

grunt Active Member

Check out his web site ... Bills a great guy to deal with. If your not pleased with his work he will make it right.
  14. Alamo

Alamo TS Member

Have not bought anything from Mr. Mains as of yet because I was waiting for a new stock to put a grip cap on. Spoke with him several times at different Southwest Grands and he is easily one of the nicest vendors there. I did not find him the least bit hard to talk to. A fine gentleman.
  15. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

Bill put a new triggerguard on my Krieghoff at a January shoot. Over the following year the bluing wore off. I went to Bill at the next shoot, and he reblued the trigger guard without charging me. He also made a buttcap for the same gun, and everyone who see it loves it. As far as I'm concerned, he's a superb craftsman who is also a pleasure to do business with.
    As far as his being friendly - if he's not busy on someone's gun, he'll gladly talk guns with anyone.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.