1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun grease/lube...lets get real

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by omgb, May 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I've been a Garand shooter for almost 30 years. When I first started out a military armorer told me that the key to keeping an M1 running without hiccups was the grease. he said there is so much going on with the bolt, the action rod and spring assembly that a failed lube will wear out the components in just a few hundred rounds. I asked him what lube he used to prevent this and he showed me a can of common axle grease of the kind used to lube boat trailer axles and he said, less is more; use just enough to leave a slight visible film and no more. In sub zero weather, you use motor oil.

So, all of these years later that's what I use. No magic formula, no high $$$ Vonder lube, just boat trailer grease.

So.... guess what I use on my shotgun hinges and contact points? Yup, axle grease. that's my story, YMMV.

R J Talley

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Can't let some kids make a buck or two, can you?

Ed

3. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

One question

How often do you replace the grease ?

At our local range, the majority of folks re-grease at the beginning of every day and many again when we move to Doubles.

However, at one shooting clinic, a nationally recognized champion shooter said he greases at the beginning of every season and maybe again before the Grand.

Thoughts...

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

It probably depends on whether you take pride in keeping the moving components of your gun in mint condition, without galling or scratches...or whether you only care about breaking targets.

Personally I take pride in keeping my gun in top condition. But I see plenty of guns with lots of wear and tear at the various clubs. We all love to break targets and everyone is different. Grease, oil, 7.5's, 8's, STS, AA's, Federals, Perazzi, Kreighoff, ATA, Bunker...

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Just because the shooter is a Nationally recognized shooter does not make them an authority on what's good for guns. To lube only once or twice a year especially under heavy use is asking for trouble. The BEST gun lube is CLEAN gun lube. It should be changed after every shooting session IMHO.

6. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Shoot an auto and forget about grease.

7. MDJ67

MDJ67 Active Member

I use Wheel bearing grease as well. Wipe it off after shooting and re-aply next time at club. Works great and you never run out. The trick is using any type of lube and keeping clean and fresh application.

8. chipking

chipking TS Member

To be 100% honest you could probably get by with Bacon grease as long as you kept the gun clean and lubed regularly. Would smell pretty darn good as well. As said it is your gun and your choice as to what you do and what you use. Ain't life grand.

--- Chip King ---

9. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I use John Deere corn head gear box grease, it comes in a tube like you use in a grease gun but it is more viscous and spreads easier, just a super thin film

Also works good in leaky Bush Hog gear boxes, it lubes good and won't leak out

10. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Basically the same stuff as axle grease just more for the heavier duty equipment.

I clean and wipe down my gun after every time I shoot it.

[​IMG]

11. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

I use G.I. rifle grease. I believe it is Lubriplate. If it is good enough for the Garand and the M-14, it should be good enough for my O/U shotguns. I have a Browning Superposed I bought in 1965. I have always used G.I. rifle grease on it and never had a problems. A one pound can will last your for many, many years and the price is right. I clean and re-grease my shotsguns after every shooting session.
    I was given a container of Briley choke tube lube. It looks, feels, and smells like the waterproof wheel bearing grease I use on my boat trailer.
    Fred-napawino

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter what you use as long as you apply it to the wear points and wipe it off when done shooting! That way any grit that you pick up while shooting is gone and fresh grease next time means your gun will last fora very long time!

All these fancy lube are mostly hype and advertizing!

13. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The Mil-Spec rifle grease I can get is M-8203 and it was made by International Lubricants in Seattle. The batch I have is dated 1963 so it's not very modern by any standards.

It fits into the category of "feels-nice-on-the-fingers-but-is-too-thick-to-be-of-any-use-in-the-gun"... sorta like that Gator Tears or Militec stuff. It's probably adequate grease but it's too far removed from the heat-producing parts of the gun to get soft enough to let things move freely.

I prefer the modern synthetics that can go from ice cold to red hot without changing from goo to water. That's at least SOMETHING useful that came from the zillions of dollars we spent to plant a junkyard on the moon.

Keller

14. extrapper84

extrapper84 Member

RED N TACKY, BY LUCAS.

$5.00 FOR A 10 YR SUPPLY.

HAL

15. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Cleanliness is next to godliness as they say. Grease is good but it must be changed and reapplied. Each time the gun is used is preferable... that ensures you have grease between the metal parts, not grease and grit.

16. laura!

laura! Member

Chipking, I like your bacon grease idea. The bacony smell might help me keep my head on the stock!

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've tried them all, the best I've found is Militec 1. $10 for a grease gun tube from Brownells. I get glue syringes from the woodworking store and fill them myself.

Lasts long enough for a shooting session, stays in place, doesn't melt (CMD did), isn't ungodly expensive, and I can put exactly how much I want and where I want w/ the self supplied syringes.

Their oil is pretty good too, but its a little on the thick side, but is VERY slick. I put some on my kolar trigger after I cleaned it, and it started fan firing (had never done that before). Cleaned the trigger off again, reoiled with rem-oil, and the problem disappeared. Would probably be a good lubrication alternative for the "use oil, not grease" crowd.

18. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

CMD....comes with every Kolar. Over 100,000 rounds thru mine and no signs of wear or galling on any friction parts.

Just sayn' what works for me.

19. ctreay

ctreay Member

Well when I went through Camp LeJuene we were taught that God himself invented Lubriplate just to be used on the 30 and 50 BMG's. That was 50+ years ago and I use it today on anything that goes bang.

ctreay

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Use, or don't use, whatever you want. I use CMD Gun Lube, and have guns with a lot of miles on them that still feel like they did years ago.

Axle grease STINKS. Folks buy a $10K shotgun, and cheap out on primers, hulls, service, and lube.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.