1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun games in Texas

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MTLongshot, Oct 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTLongshot

MTLongshot Member

I'm coming to Tx for some snowbirding and would like to stay as far west as practicle. To save a lot of time where is the winter line say south of what? Is Big Spring too far north for winter? What clubs have a reagular Annie Oakley type shoot each week called games? Any info would be appreciatede. Also where is a good lake for duck hunting in that side of the state? Thank you for now,

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

West Texas can be about as cold as where you are coming from sometimes, those blue northers as we call them can be brutal

For warmer weather you will need to go east and a little south

We are about 50 miles NE of Dallas, it can be pretty cold here also but not as bad as Iowa where I moved from 32 yrs ago, but it only lasts for a few days generally, but one winter we went down to S Padre Island for a week and it was colder down there than up here, go figure

3. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I spent most of my life in west Texas...it gets COLD there. I've seen it 10 degrees for several days running back in the 80's.

You sure don't want to be in Big Spring for the winter...crime rate "way up" there and too small of a police force to control it.

Midland/Odess not far west (50 miles or so) ...but there is a oil boom going on. Not going to be many RV spaces to be found. ...and it's way too cold in both places. You need to be considerably further south...for any pleasant or balmy winter weather.

If I were comming that far for the winter ...I wouldn't stop farther north than a line parallel to San Antonio.

Why as far west as possible? The area you mentioned is a waste land unless your in the oil business....come to think of it, it's a waste land if you're in the oil business too..lol. That country was really good to me as a young man and I call it home, but am glad to be where there is more flora and fauna now....not to mention water!

Like Catpower said.. a little farther east and south makes a BIG difference.

Happy trails...Stan

4. MTLongshot

MTLongshot Member

thank you all very much south east here we come.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.