1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun for Youth?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by macguyver67, Aug 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macguyver67

macguyver67 Member

My ten year old has been shooting for about a year and she has become quite good with her CZ .22 rifle. After watching Dad shoot some clays she now wants to join me out on the line. I know it will be a bit of time before I would feel good about her shooting with a group but I would like to start to give her the opportunity to shoot with me so she can gain confidence, skill, experience, safety practices, etc. I have talked to a number of fellow shooters and I am getting a mixed bag of first shotgun recommendations, pump/single shot/auto, 410 or 20 gauge, etc. I would love to hear your expert opinions on what the right first steps are to introduce a youngster to the shotgun sporting games as well as any first gun recommendations you might have.

I can't imagine how great it will be when I have my daughter shooting on one side of me and my son (8 years old...a few more years for him!) on the other! Plus that will give me a built in excuse to spend a ton of time at the range!

Thanks in advance for your help...

Joseph

2. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Start with a Beretta 3901 RL in either 26" or 28" barrels. The stock has a short LOP (12") woith an adj comb. A full length stock can be added later as the shooter grows. Uses Mobile chokes $935.00
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

3. clayman51

clayman51 Member

The weight of the gun will play a big role in what she can shoot. The 12 with short barrels like Mike said is the best way to go if she can hold the gun up, if not a 20 ga with light loads till she gains the arm strength. We purchased (2) 20 ga. just for that purpose, soft recoil pad installed on them.

If the 12 works,load 1 oz of shot and low recoil powder, she will enjoy!!

Dennis Menning
    Coach

4. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

An important thing to remember is barrel length. If you shorten a stock and leave a 34" barrel hanging out there, it is going to be very hard for her to hold up, without leaning backwards (for leverage.) Mossberg makes a 12 ga "Bantam" with a shorter stock and barrel. I also took a BT-99, shortened the stock, and had the barrel cut to 28" and choke tubes installed. The younger shooters and even some of the petite women wait their turn to shoot it. I load them 1oz in a STS hull, 12SO wad and 14.5 grain of Promo or Red Dot. Most say it is like shooting a .22. Most of all, make sure she is enjoying herself. I am resident grouch at the Southern Lancaster County Farmers Sportsman's Association, better know as Quarryville, located in New Providence, PA. (web site above) If you are in the area stop by, she is welcome to try any or all of the guns I have put together for shooters with a smaller stature.

Big Dave Borecki

5. macguyver67

macguyver67 Member

6. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I started my daughter with an H&R .410/22 youth combo @ 7 and it worked very well. But .410's are almost twice the price to shoot. So I bought a Win 1300 junior w/12" lop 20ga that she used for one year and hated. Now my dad has given her his 390 20ga synthetic with lop spacer and it works perfectly. If I could spend the money I would buy the 3901RL. She got to shoot one at Elysburg during the state shoot this year and loved it. No problems holding the front up. The only issue with the beretta autos is the bolt release. She couldn't push it in no matter how hard she tried. Hopefully with a lever on it she can. Also, Browning is making a Citori w/12 1/2" lop and 26" bbls.

7. earlybird

earlybird TS Member

Not only will it be great having them with you, but you have an iron-clad excuse for gun and accessory shopping.

8. freeheel

freeheel TS Member

CLP101,

Is she able to pull the bolt back? My 10 year old daughter cannot open the bolt or push that button in. I'm not sure the extended handle will help. I'm going to order one and see. It might be next year before she has the muscles to do it. Until then.. it's the pump.

I wonder how barrel heavy that Citori is with 26"bbls? Citori's are usually pretty heavy. You're talking 2- 26" barrels vs. one. O/U I assume.

9. MisterHappy

MisterHappy Member

My then 9-yo son started out with a winchester 1400 20 ga, which I cut 2" off the stock.

Of course, he's a big kid.

At my club I try to start the smaller folks with the lightest-kicking gun that they cna hold up. A lot nf new shooters aare recoil sensitive.

10. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Beretta auto all the way. We have a AL391 parallel target for the kids with a RL (reduced length) stock and a 28" barrel. I took it out for pheasants last year for a day and it smokes birds too.

You can get a shell catcher that has a built in shell closer assist to make it easier for the kids to close it.

11. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

Several people have mentioned the importance of reduced barrel length. In my experience that is a bigger factor than most people think for younger or small stature shooters. I have a 20ga LT-20 1100 with both a youth and a standard length stock set. I also have both 23 and 28 inch barrels for it. If you can find a set up like that or buy the same pieces and reload both 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads you will be very well served. This allows you to mix and match exactly what they need as they grow.

12. LABWILD

LABWILD Member

Very important points mentioned were shotgun weight and barrel length and the difficulty a small shooter would have obtaining the proper form. Increasing the young shooter strength with time and exercise will help. You may also consider reducing the number of targets shot at by a beginner (10 instead of 25) until strength increases.

13. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

BT-99 7/8ths loads. Softer than a 20 and a lot better for trap.

14. RichBandit

RichBandit TS Member

You mention that she likes her CZ .22 why not look at a CZ shotgun for her too. CZ makes a great youth gun with a shorter LOP and an extended barrel. Great gun with low recoil for young shooters.

15. jhmorrisn

jhmorrisn TS Member

i just got to jump in here. My son started out with a BB gun many years ago. At our local club he is one of the few who shoot 25 straight and has done it more than once.

His daughter, my granddaughter also started with a BB gun. During her freshmen year in high school she was on trap team.

She used a Remington 1100 Trap gun.

This year she a Junior in High School and Grandpa came up with a BT 99 for her to use.

She shot it once and gave it back. She said she like the 1100 better because it didn't kick so much. Now I got a 99 to shoot when I would rather be shoot my "put together" 870 TC. Which in 1958 when I purchase it, Moneymaker told me it may say TC but it not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.