1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shotgun for small framed 15 yo girl

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ark1stclass, Sep 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ark1stclass

ark1stclass TS Member

My daughter wants to start trap shooting, I know how important gun fit is. She is 100pounds soaking wet and has tried a 870 youth 20ga she didnt hit many but it didnt "beat her up" too bad. Any other recommendations for somthing to look at that I could get a stock to cut down.

Thanks in advance Jim

2. ark1stclass

ark1stclass TS Member

My daughter wants to start trap shooting, I know how important gun fit is. She is 100pounds soaking wet and has tried a 870 youth 20ga she didnt hit many but it didnt "beat her up" too bad. Any other recommendations for somthing to look at that I could get a stock to cut down.

Thanks in advance Jim

3. 7771

7771 Active Member

Berreta 3901 youth or Berreta 391 RL

4. 7771

7771 Active Member

Berreta 3901 youth or Berreta 391 RL

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

My 11 yr old grandaughter has been shooting a Beretta RL 391 since March and just switched to a Micro BT 99 - She likes the BT best. (it has a Gracoil).

6. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

well i just pickup a winchester ws1 1400 pre 64 20 ga no pad no kick what so ever 390 s kick like a mule this cheap gun kicks now like a 410 or less i just put a 1 in kick ezz on it i need more l o p its so sweet

7. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

well i just pickup a winchester ws1 1400 pre 64 20 ga no pad no kick what so ever 390 s kick like a mule this cheap gun kicks now like a 410 or less i just put a 1 in kick ezz on it i need more l o p its so sweet

8. BerettaJ

BerettaJ Member

I have a daughter that started shooting and is the same build. I bought her a Remington 1100 28 gauge. I know the ammo costs more, but most 20 gauge guns kick harder then 12's because of the payload to weight ratio.

A .410 just doesn't have the pattern to give a new shooter a fighting chance to break targets. If you are not breaking targets, it ain't that fun. John

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

There is a Browning Recoilless for sale here that might work for her. She can cut to the chase, and shoot the 12 with the recoil of a 28!

No hacking and cutting, no ruining the value on a gun.

10. PerazziMX2000

PerazziMX2000 TS Member

The Beretta 3901RL Tgt, has 2 1/2" spacers to adjust length and the comb is adjustable. We have several of the youth shooting this gun. 1oz or even 7/8 oz loads and you have minimal recoil.

11. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Where are you located? I cut the stocks and barrels of BT-99s to make my own micros. Then I load 14.5 grains of promo in a top gun hull, Rio primer, Downrange XXL wad and 1 ounce of shot. I have a small framed 9 year old shooting this combination and he says there's not much more kick than a 22. I also have several recoil sensitive seniors shooting the same load, all score in the 20's. The reason I asked where you are located is because I have one of the 99's set up and ready to go. Approx. 13" LOP and a 30" barrel, and it's painted Ruby Red! Your daughter is more than welcome to try it. I live in Delaware but travel to the Southeastern PA clubs. I'm at Quarryville every Tuesday, web site above, but will travel to meet you, so she can try it.

12. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

I agree with the previous comment about a BT-99 Micro, combine that with 1 oz. loads or 1 1/8 oz. 2 3/4 dram loads and you should be good to go. IMHO BT-99's are relatively soft shooting guns to begin with, but if recoil is still a little stiffer than you'd like it to be, try adding a good recoil pad, my personal favorite is the Limbsaver, which is quite soft and very effective, they make a pad that is a direct screw on "no grind" fit for the BT-99 and they are very reasonably priced.

13. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I concur with those in favor of the Beretta's Rl 391 or 3901 RL in 12 gauge, I also vote for a BT-99 Micro or a cut down BT-99. I started my son trapshooting at age 8 with a cut down to 30" barreled BT 99 with long forcing cones, porting, screw in chokes and light 1oz loads.

I have a 32" 99 barrel suitable for modifications, I will sell for $125.00 if anyone has an interest, PM me.

Surfer

14. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I am sorry but I will have to rescind my offer to let your daughter try the "Ruby Slippers" gun. A young lady and her parents came to the club tonight, I let her shoot it, apparently it fit her well, she has only been shooting since this summer and the first time shooting a new gun she broke 22. I asked her if she liked it, the smile on her face said it all, so I told her to put it back in it's case and take it home, it was now her gun, asking only that she would come back and shoot some more, she promised she would.

Again I am sorry I had to take back my offer.

15. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

4 FREE dave?

16. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Howdy Dave,

You are the MAN........,and I tip my hat to you.
    You better get busy now..........10,or 12 new kids are going to be a handful,not to mention thats about a case of BT's(10 to a case,or thats the way it used to be)that need to modified.Again,thanks for being one of the good guys.....the sport needs alot more like you.

D.P.Reynolds

17. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

WOW THATS GREAT

18. Valerie Jones

Valerie Jones Member

Big Dave - Big Heart!
    What a wonderful, wonderful thing to do.

19. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Thanks everyone, but please, let's get back to finding Jim's daughter a gun.

20. rockcreek

rockcreek Member

Jim,

I bought my daughter a BT-99 30" Micro and sent it to Tracy at Graco(479-787-6520). He set it up with a Gracoil w/Length of Pull Adjustment and Adjustable Comb. The minimum LOP is about 12-3/4" with a 3/4" Kick Eez Rocker Pad. With the inch of adjustment, it should work for several years.

For regular shooting the Benelli Montefeltro Short Stock 20 gauge is hard to beat. The available shim kit allowed me to adjust it to fit my daughter pretty well. I purchased the Winchester AA Low Recoil/Low Noise shells to help her get used to shooting the gun and she loved it. The shells cycled perfect and did not beat her up at all.

just my 2 cents,
    Jim Clifton

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

391rl 11 year old girl