1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun for my wife?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by AEP, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AEP

AEP Member

My wife has started shooting trap with me. So-far she seems to enjoy it. Currently she has been shooting my Weatherby Regency O/U or a Browning B2000 field gun. She likes both, but is now leaning toward a break open due to the cleaning of the automatic. She shot a Beretta and did not like it. Neither of these guns fit her. The LOP is to long and the Weatherby stock was fitted to my fatter face. I placed a pad on the stock to get her head up and she shot better, but the LOP is still to long. Cutting the Weatherby stock is not going to be an option. There are no parts for this gun if it were to break. That is why I stopped shooting it.

My wife is 5'-2" and weighs about 125 lbs. To this point recoil has not bothered her.

I was thinking about a BT-99 for her, however, I have been told these kick pretty good. I don't know since I've never shot one. I was also thinking of a barrel length of 32" rather than 34".

What do you ladies think? I would appreciate any comments.

Respectfully Submitted,
    Andy

2. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

did she try a beretta auto loader?

3. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

Stay with the bt99 the micro kicks more than the straight Bt99... If you find that it kicks her let me know there is a cure for that and it is simple.. As a lady shooter keep her with a lighter load and hope she sticks with it!!!

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Andy, do keep in mind Gun Fit. Most women I have seen shooting that take it seriously and have had a gun fit to them, all had a Adj. Comb and Adj. Butt Plate (with heavy twist). I think its do to the fact that most guns are made to fit men and women are just built different that men. So I say look for gun she wants, but try to find one with the adj. combs and butt plates on them already if you can.

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I'll trade you a Benelli Nova for her......what does she look like.....

6. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I got a BT-99 for my wife. I think it was a darn good trade too.

Gne J

7. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Can she cook?

Lou

8. arend003

arend003 Member

Got my wife a BT-99 and had an adjustable comb put on .. I do reload 1 ounce for her and will switch to them for myself when my wads run out. she is shooting in the 20's consistently with it although a 25 has not been had yet. I do not find the have much recoil at all although I have also put a kick-ezz pad on it so it fits her better .
    Tom

9. jhoward

jhoward Member

My wife started out with a Beretta 390 and we recently moved her into a Browning Ultra XT. I'd tend to favor an XT or Citori over the BT-99. It is a little heavier, which helps with recoil, and she won't have to get used to a new gun if she wants to start shooting doubles, skeet, or SC. I'm not sure what price range you are looking for, but SKB also makes factory guns with a reduced LOP for youths and ladies.

10. pdq

pdq Member

Andy:

I'm assisting a neighbor sell her 2 barrel set O/U Purdey through Griffin & Howe. Stock was custom made to wife's dimension and she is about 5'1" to 5' 2", so the stock should fit very well.

Pete

11. rrose

rrose TS Member

My vote is for a BT but with a PFS. The gun will be light enough that she can handle it but it will have almost no reciol and can be adjusted to fit her very well. A little more costly but , hopefully you think she is worth it.
    randy

12. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

If she doesn't like cleaning an auto (like me), BT99s are hard to beat, but I needed to have a recoil reducer on mine and later on, my Beretta 682 Gold E, even with light loads. Your wife might be tougher than me when it comes to recoil, so maybe she'd do just fine with a BT99 that has the correct length of pull and a 4-way comb. A good length of pull should allow her face to be about an inch from her pistol grip hand/thumb. A gun too long for a woman is just no fun. A lot of ladies have enough of a problem holding all that weight out there, without having to deal with extra length that isn't necessary and that impedes good target acquisition.

If recoil becomes a problem, lighter loads are my first step, and an inexpensive alternative to several hundred dollars worth of recoil reducer would be a Super Gooey Pad by Trapdude.com. They really reduce felt recoil. Also, a padded comb makes shooting very enjoyable.

My BT99 had a Soft Touch by Shooter's Emporium. But their QC hasn't been the best of late, and for a lot less money you could get a similar recoil reducer from Clyde Cameron (Clyde Slide) in Lewiston, ID. I had one on my Browning Citori Trap, it worked just like the Soft Touch as far as "perceived" recoil goes.

Jennifer

13. Ms Trapshooter

Ms Trapshooter Member

I have been shooting for 5 years and have used a Browning Citori O/U for most of those years. I have tried a BT99, and frankly, didn't like it. I think that it was actually too light, and I would often sling it right past the target. Although I am taller and heavier than your wife, I have never had a problem with recoil with my Citori. In fact, I even have a barrel weight on it to slow my swing down even more. It may be more psychological than physical, but I shot better from the moment I added that weight. I also do not find it too heavy. A couple of years ago, I did try a Beretta 682 for about a week. It punched me in the cheek and started to punch a hole in my trigger finger near my knuckle. I immediately went back to my Citori. It was shortened to 13 7/8 LOP, and I use a Kick EZ butt pad. Hope this is helpful.

14. Dodgeram

Dodgeram TS Member

I have a Beretta 391 optima 30" barrel with a reduce lenght stock. Length of pull is 13 1/2" inches with the shorter pad on it or 13 3/4" with the longer stock pad. Would need to get $770.00 including shipping to you FFL. I bought it three years ago when my son was 12/13 years old and he shot it very well. His very first registered targets at the 16 yard line he shot 100 straight with it then went on to shoot 198 out of 200 the same day(I wish I could shoot that good). Let me know if you would like me to email you more pictures.

Doug fom Iowa

15. mis-some

mis-some TS Member

I have a Beretta 680 o/u for sale. It was my wife's 1st gun and she shoot it very well. My daughter also started with this gun and shoots it weel. It is a 30" ported i/m and full. Soft touch cheek piece and a gracoil pad. 14" lop.
    Asking $1300 plus shipping and insurance to ffl

16. AEP

AEP Member

Thanks everyone for there posts. I want to try a BT-99 or maybe a BT-100. I found another lady who has a BT-99 with a cut stock, Graco recoil system, and screw-in chocks. She said my wife could shoot it. That should tell me alot.

All of my guns are fitted to me. That dosen't help her.

The two berreta's she shot she did not like. She said they kicked like mules. One was the 391 and the other was a O/U. She is now gun shy about berreta's. Like I tell her gun fit mean alot.

Again thanks for all the replies.

Andy

17. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

AEP try to find a bt99trap plus or citori plus. with all of the adjustmentson them know you can get it to fit her. my wife is 5ft tall and I got her one 12or 15 years ago.she shoots it very well and has lots of trophy to prove it I thinkit is one of the best options for smaller women. J WOOD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what shotgun lop for wife