1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun Features

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgunshoot, Mar 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunshoot

shotgunshoot Member

Hello,

I'm interested to purchase a new shotgun for clay targets. What are the features that I should be looking at?

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Find a used shotgun that you can shoot before you decide to buy it. That way you will get a gun that is user friendly and one that breaks a lot of targets. Try to find one that has an adjustable comb and adjustable butt plate. HMB

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Any specific game? (trap,skeet, sporting clays)

That more than anything will narrow down the useful features.

4. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

This year I'm shooting everything with the same gun, a SxS. My backup and loaner is a Remington 1100. These work for me. For a person who isn't sure I'd strongly suggest starting with one of the good semi-automatics. The 1100 is my favorite, but there are plenty of others. Used S/As can usually be unloaded for about what you pay for them.

Larry

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Important Features:

1)One that fits you<br>
    2)One that will last(major brands)<br>
    3)Adjustable Comb to help with fit<br>
    4)One that fits you<br>
    5)Did I mention one that fits you?<br>

6. shotgunshoot

shotgunshoot Member

Ok, let me refine my question. What physical features of the shotgun matter? How do you differentiate between shotgun models? I'm interested to shoot American Trap.

7. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Adjustable rib
    Adjustable comb
    With these features you can make the gun fit you.

8. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Darn, I thought this would be about movies as in feature shows.

But...buy the gun with some guidance from somebody who competes and stay away from "off brands" sold at some big discount box stores. Have fun.

9. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

As noted above: Get one that fits you. This may be a plain factory stock, or you may need an adjustable comb, an adjustable butt plate to raise or lower the stock on your shoulder, or shortening or lengthening the butt for length of pull. The stock dimensions (drop of the comb at the heel, cast off or on, etc.) of dedicated trap guns are slightly different than the same model of sporting clays guns, and a little more different than the same model of field guns. Regardless of the difference, many shooters have shot a lot of targets with guns which are not designated as trap models, and so can you. If you are going to get serious about shooting trap, and want a dedicated gun for that alone, a trap model is in order, but if you may want in the future to shoot sporting clays, or skeet, or to hunt with it, a field or sporting model can do you equally as well as a trap gun. Try out guns you like, and if you can break lots of targets, and it fits, buy it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.