1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun engraving

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Ted K., May 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I have a standard-issue Kolar with the usual silver grey receiver. I bought it new abut two years ago.

Does anyone know if

1. The receiver can be engraved at this point (I'm talking about engraving almost the whole receiver, not just adding initials or a couple of scrolls), and

2. Can the color of the receiver be changed to dark blue (through the normal bluing process) before or after the engraving is completed?

Thanks for any insights you might have.

Ted K.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Yes and Yes. You'll need to have the nickel stripped off first.

3. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Skeetman -

Who strips the nickel - the same company that does the bluing?

Also, am I correct that the nickel would have to be stripped off anyway in order to facilitate the engraving?

Thanks.

Ted K.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't have any leads I can provide. And yes, the nickel would have to be stripped off anyways.

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Part of properly engraving a receiver involves annealing the gun to bring the hardness down to a workable level. Once engraving is complete they re-harden it. If there is an issue about holding the blue, then it might be the amount of nickel or other metals in the alloy.

6. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

Jeff Mainland at Kolar is the guy to talk to. He's a great guy and will sure know what, how and who to help you do your project.

When you start heat treating metal it can move if it is not done correctly.

7. jbshep

jbshep Member

Bill mains can do it 765-425-6258.
    Brad

8. Rods Custom Stocks

Rods Custom Stocks Member

Bill Mains did my Kolar TS with the silver receiver and it turned out fantastic!
    I would highly recommend Bill.

..Rod

9. Simon Engraving

Simon Engraving Active Member

u have a pm

10. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Bill Mains did my Kolar Elite nickled receiver. It wasn't stripped and turned out very nicely. Thanks Bill.

sseitz007_2008_010430.jpg

sseitz007_2008_010427.jpg

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Very nice. Bill did some small work for me. Great work.

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Gene,

On your Elite, it appears Bill just laid gold into the borders, that were already there. He just needed to dovetail them for the gold to stick.

On the standard Kolar reciever, it would have nickel plating. To do anymore engraving beyond Gene's gun, the nickel would need to be stripped. Once stripped, all the metal would need to be polished prior to the engraving. You do not want to polish after the engraving, for fear of removing some engraving details.

If any gold is laid in, then replating would not be an option. The plating will cover the gold.

Depending on the amount of engraving, you can have it blued or French Grayed. The graying only looks good with 100% engraving coverage. As for the bluing, a polished blue will last longer than the original bead-blasted blue, but as with any blued gun, lots of handling will eventually wear those areas thin.

You may also want to look at having the parts nitrided (like the newer engraved K-80s and Brownings. I'm not sure though how it would change the structure of the steel alloy (4140), because the nitriding involves heat-treating.

Doug

13. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Doug:
    You are correct. The gold was inlaid into the already engraved grooves. And, I think Bill did a great job.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

14. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Have Known Bill Mains for many Years...Any Work that he will do for you..You will be, More than Happy. He is an American Master of His Craft. Attached is some of His Work.Enjoy...Shoot Well..Shoot Often,with Good Friends, Bart
    flabigpapa_2008_0303608.jpg

flabigpapa_2008_0303609.jpg

flabigpapa_2008_0303610.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.