1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun Cleaning

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hawk46, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

No doubt this subject has come up before but since I'm still new to the site I can plead ignorance.
    What cleaning products and method have you found to be superior following a shoot? To hold down on the thread please reply only if you have been a dedicated shooter for at least five years and have tried different approaches.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<UL><LI>Clean the bore with home made Ed's Red<LI>Clean the outside of the barrel with Barricade to remove fingerprints<LI>Clean the wood with paste wax<LI>Clean knuckle and hinge pin with Stoddard solvent<LI>Lubricate the knuckle with Krytox 205 GPL and the hinge pin with CMD Gun Grease<LI>Clean/oil the extractors with Marvel Mystery Oil<LI>Clean the receiver face with Stoddard solvent (Kingsford charcoal lighter)<LI>Put the gun back in its case leaving the lid open<LI>Have a good single malt</UL>

Mk

3. RAScott

RAScott Member

Bore-snake for the intermediate cleanings and shooters choice works well on the chokes and barrels, also gunblaster aresol on other parts like triggers and other parts with allot of nooks and crannys. then oil. I did just purchase the components to make my own Ed's Red though.

Bob S

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Be careful Bob, you can't sniff it or sip it. You'd have enjoyed yesterday, shooting with wild burro's feeding in the background. I feel bad for you trying to wade around in that white stuff. I guess we got hammered with that one. Keep that Kolar warm and dry, Bob

5. gordy h

gordy h Member

Sorry guys but what is Ed's Red? Is it good for choke tubes? Thanks

6. Unknown1

I like this concoction because I hate stuff in pressurized aerosol cans.

My mix...<UL><LI>10 oz Dexron II or III automatic transmission fluid (cheap stuff works)<LI>10 oz. Kingsford charcoal lighter fluid (Stoddard solvent) [odorless mineral spirits works too; it's just more expensive]<LI>10 oz K-1 kerosene<LI>2 oz acetone</UL>Mix/keep it in a metal can; put small amounts in a glass jar for use. The original formula was for equal parts of each. Keep the can closed and you don't need near as much acetone. Here's the original formula for <I>Ed's Red</I>.

Depends on what you want to clean out of the choke tube. The acetone will dissolve plastic and the Stoddard takes out soot.

MK

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Dang, I have only been a dedicated shooter for 4 3/4 years...arrggg..

8. RAScott

RAScott Member

Bob Hawkes, 22" Lota plowing with no where to put it now. Rub it in Bob, Rub it in.I am jealous of you in the nice warm weather. Enjoy it, spring is right around the corner. I just booked the flight to Florida. Good time to clean up the gun. Wasnt there a formular to make cleaning solution 75% acetone 25% transmition fluid.

Bob S

9. atadams77

atadams77 Member

G96 solvent first in the barrels to bust out the plastic from wads. then follow up everywhere else with G96 gun treatment.

10. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Wasnt there a formular to make cleaning solution 75% acetone 25% transmition fluid."</I></blockquote>Use 10% acetone. It will work just as well and be a lot kinder to your liver.

MK

11. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

I have used just about any concoction you want to name to clean the inside of a shotgun barrel and to protect the outside. Ed’s Red works great, so does my convenient can of Mercury Quick-Sliver engine cleaner or Mercury Power Tune engine cleaner-----and so does a treat with a 2:1 mix of Shooters Choice bore solvent and Kroil.
    But, my cleaning chores have gotten so much easier since I started using Ezzox. Being a big boy, I sweat a lot in our environment. After staring to use Ezzox on the metal surfaces of my trap gun, preferably while it is hot/warm, I have had zero problems with rust. After I started treating the bore of my trap gun with Ezzox (clean all fouling out of the bore, then clean all the oil out using carburetor cleaner/brake cleaner/bore scrubber etc.), wet the inside of the bore with Ezzox and let it stay in there – wipe the chamber dry before you shoot and there you go. Soon after I started doing that I have noticed a significant reduction of plastic fouling in the gun……..this is just the way I clean my trap gun. There are as many acceptable ways to treat/clean a gun as Carter has little liver pills. – pick one that works for you and do it fairly regularly.

12. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Found an updated formula for Ed's Red:

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm

13. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

Which part gets the snake oil?

14. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Which part gets the snake oil?"</I></blockquote>...the cynic gets it!

MK

15. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Found an updated formula for Ed's Red..."</i></blockquote>The text of the article you posted has been altered slightly but ingredients in the formulas are identical:

Original:<UL><li>1 part Dexron II, IIe or III ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.<li>1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1<LI>1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits, Fed. Spec. TT-T-2981F, CAS #64741-49-9, or may substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent, (aka "Varsol")<li>1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1<LI>(Optional up to 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, OK to
    substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)</UL>

Updated:<UL><LI>1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.<LI>1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1<LI>1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.<LI>1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.<LI>(Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)</UL>

MK

16. bill4807

bill4807 Member

Read this: http://www.krieghoff.com/ki/pdf/BenderKeepItClean.pdf

17. Unknown1

...but I don't own a Krieghoff!

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun cleaning system for trapshooters