1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun cleaning advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Borg, Apr 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borg

Borg Member

I recently aquired my great grandfather's Winchester 1897 pump (1899 build date). I shot this gun a little as a teenager. Anyway, I have completely taken this gun down, and it is in need of serious cleaning.

Any recommendations for appropriate solvents to soak parts in. By the looks of it, this gun has never been taken apart to this level, and the powder/residue is, well, NFG. This thing needs more than some hoppies and a bronze brush.

Thanks
    Peter

2. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Mineral spirits and a buffing wheel. Roy

3. tincanman

tincanman Member

1899 build date? A true relic. Be careful on how much you clean it. Most collector value is lost when the aged patina is cleansed away.

4. Borg

Borg Member

1899 build date? A true relic. Be careful on how much you clean it. Most collector value is lost when the aged patina is cleansed away.

This is partly my concern. Most internal parts have a thick powder/residue layer that I would like to remove then reassemble and then just caress the gun with a soft diaper in the future. I'll likely never shoot it again-likely anyway.
    Thanks
    Peter

5. tincanman

tincanman Member

I'd probably just wipe it down with an oily rag. Same for the bore. Do you have a bore cleaner? I like the idea of the sponge-like long rod bore cleaner and just spray the bore with oil or a light cleaner and run the sponge through it. See how that goes. You might be able to get it clean enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.