1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun chokes - previously reported

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Herb Roach, Oct 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Not so long ago there was a tremendous information thread about chokes. It was a bit of a read, but it was an extremely go article. If you posted this article, will you do it again? Herb

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Herb---I believe this might be the article you were talking about.---Matt

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hell i don't know, i didn't write it.

4. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Thanks Matt, that is exactly the article I was looking for. Understandable and believable. Thank you again for you time and consideration. Herb

5. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Thanks Matt, that is exactly the article I was looking for. Understandable and believable. Thank you again for you time and consideration. Herb

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

I've read this article numerous times that Gil and Vicki Ash wrote, and still can't believe a Mod. choke can hold a 25" killing pattern from 25 to 45 yards. I've never patterned a Mod. past 35 yards. They say:

"Modified may well be the single most useful all-around choke of them all. Obviously, those crafty trap shooters were on to something."

Well, I'm not a crafty trap shooter, so I decided to try some patterns with a Mod. choke at 25 and 45 yards, and see what I get. I personally don't know anyone that uses a Mod. choke for handicap, maybe some do. They never said the velocity of their shells, so I'm going to use 1200 fps. 7-1/2's.

I'll be back with the results tomorrow.

Wayne

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Use what works for you not what the "experts" say you ought to be using.

"Studies" by "experts" have screwed up too many good ideas.

MK

8. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

It appears this test is flawed to the point that there is no idication of what load was being used ie. what type of shot, what type of load or velocity. Additionally, the different manufacture of chokes should be considered also. Does Briley have a better patterning choke than a Carlson or Wright?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.