1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shotgun blanks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dhip, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dhip

dhip Active Member

Just wondering.

What happens if you load a shell with no shot,just powder and wad. Assuming you do crimp it properly.

Sorry,woke up at 3 am this morning and was reading wesite titles and thought of this all by my self.

LMAO

Doug H.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Not much will happen. The wad will usually clear the barrel and the barrel will remain very dirty. The powder needs the resistance of the shot to burn properly.

Pat Ireland

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If you use aprox 25gr of a fast burning powder and fill the entire casing w/ wads and have a tight crimp you'll get what dog trainers call popper loads or in your terminology a blank. BP has a formula for making popper loads which is more detailed than my abbreviated version.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Just fill the hull with 2F black powder, then crimp!

Sounds like a Howitzer!

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

My experiment went like this...

17gr of clays, WW209 primer, STS figure8 wad..no shot.

I shot this in my garage with some ear protection. The wad bounced off the floor, a cardboard box and the ceiling before coming to a rest. No flames. When I tipped the barrel down almost all of the powder poured out onto the floor. There was no audible difference between this configuration and just a primer in a hull...I was bored:)

6. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

As Hitapair said it is a popper load. In order to make them work for dog training I just fill the shot cup with rice or grass seed. It makes them burn clean.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I know of a case where a despondent woman cut open a reload from her spouses supply, emptied the shell of any shot, loaded it in a short barrel shotgun, put the muzzle at an angle to the side of her head and killed herself with the wad. The room needed a lot of cleaning and repainting afterwards too. We thought this to be near impossible and tested the same thing through a series of cardboard boxes one inside the other and the wad penetrated through several layers of cardboard; I forget how many at this time. Don't be fulled by the velocity of a wad in a so called homemade "blank" like this......breakemall....Bob Dodd

ps: It was believed by the family that the woman was seeking attention and sympathy and had no idea that the wad would kill her.

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

Thanks for reply to an early morning thought.The last post reminded me of something I seen at a registered shoot.Believe it or not,fella to my right on station 2 hit the blame bird with the wad,several comments were made by others that Knew him,but a chip did break off the bird so they counted it.Never seen that before.

So I won't forgo they power of the wad.

Doug H.

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

When I was a kid in the 50's we made blanks with black powder and a nitro card wad. We loaded them in brass cases (just pushed the nitro card in with a piece of dowel rod. I remember shooting one at an old door and the card wad went right through the door panel!

Jim Skeel

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Even without a wad, a blank can be deadly!

Using Black powder or EC Blank powder ... the blast from the muzzle is dangerous.

Back when I was in the Army ... before the troops got to do tactical exercises using blanks ... I would demonstrate the power of a blank by shooting holes in the heavy paperboard silhouette targets.

The Grand blanks would blow hole though them from 2 feet away!

11. larryjk

larryjk Member

OKAY! We used to have some fun by loading feather shells to stick in some unsuspecting fellows vest pocket. Reload a shell like you normally would except put in a small hand of feathers (We thought duck feathers were the best) in the wad before you dump the normal 1 1/8 oz. of #8. Crimp as usual. Then find the guy with a sense of humor that shoots those kinds of shells. Take about 3 or 4 of his out of his vest and replace them with your "feather" shells. It has the worst effect if he gets about 3 in a row. After that he will keep raising his head to see the feathers and won't hit a darn thing. Don't do this during a registered shoot unless you can remain very silent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.