1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Shotgun barrel storage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by linkerman, Nov 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linkerman

linkerman TS Member

I am looking for ideas for building OR buying something to store extra shotgun barrels when not in use. I have found myself in pocession of about a dozen or so 11-87/1100 barrels that my son and I use for various different purposes. Right now they are just each in gun sleeves taking up space in my safe. SO…..I figured there might be some clever way of storing them other than just throwing them in the safe or closet. I have moderate wood working skills but no creative skills. Any pictures or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
  2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Make up a nice wooden structure, that'll fit in the desired area, that has a floor. Then attach wooden dowel rods to the floor of the fixture. Cushion the bottom of the dowel rods with foam pipe insulation to prevent barrel damage. Label the top of the dowel rods as to what the barrel is. This should be a vary straight forward easy design to build.

ss
  3. ExFedex

ExFedex Member

I like Short Shuckers idea and having a son and son-in-law that also shoot 1100 and 11-87,s we have acquired a few extra barrels. In the past I have picked up old wall hanging gun racks at second hand stores, garage sales, what have you, pretty cheap and they are hanging in my furnace storage room. Sometimes I can fit two 20 ga. in one resting hook.
  4. yobyllib

yobyllib TS Member

Pvc tubing with endcaps.
    [ps,you prolly have gunpowder laying around,so either way itll be construed as bombmaking materials,so dont worry].
  5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

Pretty impresive Vern! Keep me in your will
  6. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

What kind of climate do you live in? If you are going to store them for a while, you might want to throw in some absorbtion packets, if you put them in the PVC for any length of time. Perhaps spray them with a light coating of gun oil. You could use paper roll tubes, like architects use, again light coating of oil and oil paper or plastic. Would not be as sturdy as PVC, but the carboard tubes come in all different diameter and length sizes.
  7. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Vern,

That is a nice collection!

Matt
  8. linkerman

linkerman TS Member

Thanks guys, a lot of very good ideas. I think that I will go with either a verticle two piece pool cue rack OR the horizontal peg board. Both very good ideas.

Thanks again,
    David
  9. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Active Member

Hey Vern,
    I like the hat rack also. Where do all the hats come from ? I must have 50 or more they just seem to appear from know where over time. Saw you friend Bill at the Dollar said you will be down in Jan the weather is perfect about now around 76 in the afternoons.

Buddy
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.