1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun balance

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franktri

Franktri Member

I just recently watched a YouTube about gun balance. Unfortunately it was in Italian and, I'm sorry to say, I am Italian but do not speak it.. Is it a personpreference where the gun should be balanced? In one video, they spoke of the gun being balanced right at the breach of the receiver. Another talks about the balance point being further toward the muzzle.
    Or is is a personal preference?

2. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

It depends on the game you're playing.

3. David McMillen

David McMillen Banned User Banned

I personally like an Over/under balanced at the hinge pin.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I like a heaver barrel. Weight forward, keeps the barrel from whipping all over the place.

5. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

As said, depends on the game and personal preference.

For most, balance will be less critical for games shot with a premounted gun. Relative to all my other shotguns, my trap guns are quite butt-heavy. The butt is a convenient place to add weight and it's firmly anchored in my shoulder so I don't have to move it around. It takes only 2-3 ounces strategically placed ahead of my lead hand to alter the swing and achieve the gun movement I want. OTOH, since I start the mount from a low gun hold on sporting clays/FITASC as well as hunting flushing birds, balance becomes much more important. I have to lift the entire gun to my cheek and shoulder with as little waste of time and effort time as possible.

As I lift the gun to track the target and mount the gun, a more evenly balanced gun allows my hands to move in synch and keep the muzzle on the target line. Too much weight at either end contributes to a see-sawing movement which robs me of time and precision.

Again, like dozens of other variables in shotgunning, it's a matter of what leads to individual success. And there is no shortcut to trial and error.

6. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Ken Lokker, who owns Giacomo's, balances them on the hinge pin.

Doc

7. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The hinge pin is about half-way between where you should place your hands.

8. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

It's all what the shooter likes. It was a lot of trial and error before I decided what I liked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to balance a shotgun

how to balance a trapgun
ideal shotgun balance point

shotgun balance

shotgun balance for fitasc
shotgun balance point
what to use for counter balance in butt of gun
where should the balance point on a semi auto shotgun be