1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotgun balance question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dzeh, Feb 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dzeh

dzeh Member

I just bought a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III Sporting O/U which I find to be a bit lighter than my Browning 525 Sporting. I have a RAD on my Browning which helps with my recoil (shoulder surgery and cervical stenosis in neck)problems. I don't necessarily want to go that route with my Beretta just yet and am thinking of putting a mercury recoil reducer that I've had laying around in it. My question to you folks is one of maintaining the balance of the gun if I do that. Have any of you put extra weight in the forearm to keep the gun balanced? I was thinking of getting some of that lead tape that golfers use. Has anyone had any experience with that sort of thing or have any other suggestions? Thanks!

2. Harold

Harold TS Member

Balance is not that important for a trap gun. Once you have it mounted on your shoulder, I don't think you will notice any difference due to the weight in the stock. If you add forward weight it will have some effect on how the guns swings due to the increased moment of inertia.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The lead tape that golfers use does not weigh very much and would not offset the weight of the recoil reducer. A clamp on barrel weight might be the answer. HMB

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

dzeh- I suggest that you first figure out what recoil absorbing system you want. With your past shoulder/neck problem you may end up wanting more than you not think you need. You may want to try some temporary weight on your barrel. This will have an effect on your swing (as per Harold) but balance is something we get used to as long as the balance point is between our right and left hands when the gun is mounted. And, it always is. If you ask around, someone will have some plumbers lead tape or a piece of soft lead pipe that can be cut into strips. You can make trial weights fastened with tape. You can even cut up an old car battery if you don't mind working with a little acid.

Pat Ireland

5. welderman

welderman TS Member

I have a similar physical problem. I installed a mercury recoil reducer in the butt and reduced my loads from 3 to 2 3/4 dram equiv. I chose to ignore the balance part of the equation until my testing was complete. My experience was that (for me) the gun handled better being butt heavy, and with the reduced loads, my accuracy improved to the point where I have shot better for over a year with no pain. YMMV Tom S. (welderman)

6. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Harold is right, too much emphasis is put on the balance of a trap gun. Balance may be important in a field gun but not in a pre-mounted game like trap. I have a RAD 2 and an oversize custom stock which makes the gun very butt heavy. When I mount the gun the shoulder bears the weight and it makes no difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun balance