1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shotfall Formula

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JPM, Feb 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JPM

JPM Member

I am providing shells for a Boy Scout Troop fundraiser and shotfall distance is a potential problem. Is there a mathematical formula for determining shotfall distance that includes nominal fps and shot size? I have a chance to get some 12 ga 3/4 ounce #8 shot at 1350 fps but before I do I'd like to know what the shotfall distance is compared to 1145 fps #8 shot. Thanks, in advance. JPM

2. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

200 yards from the back of the traphouse would contain both types of loads. Exception would be at higher elevations; distance 25-50 yds. further.

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

JPM, according to Shotgun Ballistics for Windows, the maximum range for the 1145 fps pellets is 662 feet; for the faster 1350 fps pellets it's 680 feet. That's at sea level; higher will mean farther.

Neil

4. Don S

Don S Member

Neil,

Glad to hear your still around.

5. JPM

JPM Member

Thanks, very much. Based on your information the Troop Scoutmaster has asked for the one ounce 1145 fps shells. I really appreciate your information. JPM

6. triplea

triplea TS Member

Journees formula tells you how far shot travels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.