1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot you can See

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by davidjayuden, Jun 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

What is the best source for either loaded tracer rounds or bulk shot, the type that glows like phosphorus as it travels downrange? I have an experienced shooter that is struggling and I can not tell where she is hitting, other than that she is not hitting the target. I've seen the tracer rounds used and think that they would help diagnose her lead problems.
    Also is this stuff hard on guns?
    dju

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

The link above will get you what you want.

Eric

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

Tracer rounds don't work. The tracer pellet has to be in the wad to be ignited by the powder. So the tracer shows where your wad is going, not the shot string.

Been there...

Capvan

4. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I just seen something in a magazine this week where Fiocchi is making tracer ammo & supposedly it is not corrosive like phosphorous would be. I don't know any more about it than that but it listed a web site. Colonel

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

David. Some of us can see the shot string as it approaches the target. You can usually find a club guy with that ability to stand behind and watch the shot go past the target.

I have seen a number of women struggle because as they begin to get multiple misses they tend to try and be more rifle like and never catch up with the target. That could be her issue.

And like always, they need to find a competent coach. We should begin a list of those.I may do that.

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

dju, Many people with keen eyesight are able to see conventional shot as it travels to and past the bird. Generally they must stand directly behind the shooter to see the shot. I could always do this when younger and can still see the shot if lighting is good. One way to better see the shot is at night under good lights. Ask your club members for help. There should be a good pair of eyes willing to help. Marc

7. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I think Phil Kiner would suggest that she may have started to crossfire. Is she a one eyed or two eyed shooter?

I struggle with it for a while, and I'd rather have a flinch than a crossfire problem.

8. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

davidjayuden

check your PM's- pk

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Women shooters are prone to cross firing. Check to see if that is the problem. HMB

10. Lewes

Lewes Member

Fiocchi makes a chemical tracer shell safe for all guns. Best used on a cloudy day. Works on the same principal as a chemical light stick. Not cheap. 10 rounds cost me $20.00.Best to have a spotter when using as it is difficult for the shooter to see what is going on. Irv

11. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your responses. I used to claim that I could see a center-fire rifle round going downrange on hazey days, but not so the shot pattern. I will follow up on all your suggestions as time permits.
    dju

12. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

shot is visible under lights at night, but you can't see your own while shooting, but from behind shooter.

13. quartering

quartering Active Member

agreed, under the lights or when the sun is low and behind you. canned heat is the fiocchi shell. it uses cyalume, like the emergency light sticks. i'm curious to see how it works. good luck with it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shot you can see