1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot with Kim Rhode today

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by omgb, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I was up at OakTree in Santa Clarita this AM just to shoot some skeet. I took my wife along to pull targets so I could concentrate on some of the tougher shots.

Well, the two American courses were full so I decided to to go up the hill a tad to the International field. As we walked up, there was Kim, her dad and another gentleman whom I took to be a friend of the Rhode family. I was willing to move on but Kim's dad invited me to shoot with her so I readily agreed.

Well, for those of you who haven't tried International skeet, I've got to tell you, it is one tough game. The birds are faster and the doubles are much harder to hit than the American version. In fact, at station 2 and 3, the window for breaking a set of doubles is maybe 15' wide.

I shot two rounds with Miss Rhodes and ran maybe 50%. She of course, never missed a shot. I enjoyed both her company and her sportsmanship. Never once did she make me feel like a duffer and in fact, gave me some excellent tips (as did Mr. Rhodes) that helped me to hit a few of those doubles that were really killing me. When I shot well, she was quick to offer praise and when I missed, she offered assistance in fixing what I was doing wrong.

Afterword, she encouraged me to help myself to her once-fireds and I walked away with several hundred for sure.

She won a new fan as she sat and chatted with my wife too. Gentlemen, if you ever get the chance to shoot with her don't pass it up. Three time Olympic champion, true sportswoman, a pleasure to know. I'm in high cotton. Kim if you happen to read this, thanks a bunch. You made my week, shoot, maybe my season.

R J Talley

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It's an amazing accomplishment that she won the one spot on the US team. However, don't expect her to win a medal, though it would be great if she did. Log onto
    www.issf.tv to see a video of the finals of the womens skeet competition in last years world championship. Those women are fantastic.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

She sounds like a class act. Glad to hear it.

Hope she gets some prime time on the TV this August, as well as all the other US shooters.

4. dynapro

dynapro TS Member

Sounds kind of disruptive to an olympic training session to me. Fun for you, sucks for them. The practice and training I've seen at the Springs are off limits during the 2 hours that they are at work. The range is reserved, and the coaching and focus is intense. We can observe the proceedings, but to shoot as a novice with elite athletes is extremely intrusive. I agree with Dick's comments.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

This is really just another typical story about Kim. She is a world class shot residing in a world class lady. She shoots several FLATS A DAY. She invited Mr. Talley to shoot and inviting him to shoot was just a natural extension of her personality and her committment to sportsmanship.

I can understand, having run into so many trapshooters who won't give a new shooter or stranger the time of day let alone inviting them to shoot a round, how her attitude might be hard to comprehend for some people.

As to her winning a medal, I suggest you review her record. I would say it is the other competitors who worry about her.

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Can't find that video, Dick..... :(

7. eagles11

eagles11 TS Member

Just a quick Kim Story,

She trains in Kerrville quite a bit and kids like to watch her. One young 4-H girl was watching and when Kim took a break Kim struck up a conversation with the 4-Her. Long story short Kim stopped training for over an hour to help the young lady. This was Kim's choice and she was visibly glad to do so.

Richard Rhode on the other hand is hard to get along with, STAY WITH ME NOW!!! He always calls ahead to make sure it is ok to train. He asks each day if there is anything he or Kim can do to help. Richard also took time to help the 4-Her, talked about above, by teaching her and her dad about training.

These are two of the finest ambassadors for shooting sports. Kim will always represent the United States well mostly because of her upbringing.

As to her possibly not winning a medal, well anything can happen in the Olympics or any other match for that matter. Kim is not as far ahead of the field in skeet as she was in double trap. That being said you have to know that Kim smells the gold and when that happens she is relentless. Those who say that she does not train the 500-1000 shots per day need to go and watch her. She is on a mission and I would not bet against her. If she was going to fold she would have done so during the Olympic Team Trials earlier this month. Haley Dunn put a lot of pressure on Kim and did not get past her. Kim even gave up a bird in the finals of that match to let Haley come tied with her yet kept up the pressure to win her fourth straight Olympic spot. So you know Haley is a superb shot and has won many medals for the United States, beating many of the worlds best including Kim.

Am I a fan of Kim's, yes, but for good reasons. Plainly she is a class act and she gives back freely.

Jack

8. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I pulled this out of US Today. It was part of an article on the the Olympics.

Heat is on:

Shooter Kim Rhode, 28, qualified last weekend for her fourth Olympics.

What's new? Oh, just a new sport, she said.

She will compete in skeet because women's double trap was dropped.

"It's like the difference between swimming and diving," said Rhode, winner of gold medals in double trap in 1996 and 2004 and bronze in 2000.

One difference, she said, is the shotgun is mounted in double trap, while in skeet, the gun rests on the hip before being raised to the shoulder when the target is pulled.

"It's like night and day," she said.

Rhode, who shoots 700 to 1,000 rounds a day, seven days a week from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., wants to be ready for Beijing's humidity and heat. Living in El Monte, Calif., she works with a trainer and nutritionist, runs in the heat and plans to train in humidity rooms before continuing her preparations at Fort Benning, Ga., this summer.

One constant: her dad, Richard, is her coach. "He's pulled every target for me." Do that math.

9. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I cannot let this pass.......my 14 yr old son and I were in Kerrville at the Olympic Trials, he shoots trap. The trap event was over mid afternoon and the skeet shooters were shooting a few rounds of unofficial practice. My son wanted to try skeet and doubles trap (he has shot skeet before but not international version) so we walked up to the skeet field and asked a shooter if we could shoot a practice round - that shooter was Kim Rhode and the answer was an enthusiastic yes. Not only did she welcome my son onto the practice squad but she also gave him a few tips as they went around the field. He had so much FUN he wanted to shoot another round and did so with Kim. She is a first class act and a great ambassador for the sport and the USA. Thank you Kim.

We then went down to the last field where they were practising double trap and we ran into Billy Crawford and his dad. The reception and greeting was EXACTLY the same as with Kim - enthusiastic, positive and welcoming. Billy almost was pleading with my son to shoot a round with him, so eager was he to see a new face on the double trap field. My son got to shoot a round of double trap and had a blast doing it - thanks Bill Sr. and Billy - it was VERY much appreciated.

In both cases we interrupted a serious practice session - folks at this level don't goof around, even when it's not "official" practice. The manner in which we were welcomed says a lot about the individual character necessary to shoot at this level. We've only been around the international shooting community for a short period and the spring match was my son's first national level competition but if the quality of the people that we have met so far is anything to go by then he is hanging out with the right kind of folks.

10. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

About a month ago, I stopped by at Oaktree with an friend who was a several-time All American, and Grand American HOA etc. etc. during his career. We three, including his wife,stopped by there for lunch. Well....guess who served us our burgers? Kim Rhode; I asked her if she worked there, and she replied that she was just taking a break and hanging out in the kitchen!! Our waitress was Kim!! I quipped that "how often do we see an Olympian winner be the waitress for a well-known All American!!"

I once shot a round of American Trap with Kim in the rain from the 24 yard line. This was about fifteen years ago; it was just for giggles. She had never shot trap from yardage before and did quite well with a skeet choke.
    I also recall her and her father shooting with others and that it was never a big deal to them; perhaps training under less than perfect conditions (distractions) was and continues to be helpful.

BTW, the first thing Kim told me when we spoke again at Oaktree, this meeting after a few years, was that she is engaged to be married now. She has her priorities in an approprite row and she continues to be a marvelous shooter, and more importantly, a marvelous person.

11. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I didn't mention this earlier but what do you suppose a three-time olympic champ does between practice rounds? Why works on her wedding guest list of course. What a truely delightful individual. She sets the standards of sportsmanship very high.

12. Dickgshot

There will be some disappointed guys out there. She drew a crowd when she used to drive into the parking lot at Triple B in her little red Shelby GT Cobra.

Don't forget she started out as an All American skeet shooter, and I saw her shooting round after round of international skeet four years ago, so it's not like she just picked it up.

JBrooks: It's great to be a cheerleader, but what's she's accomplished won't be diminished if she doesn't medal. There's some Russian, Italian, and Chinese women
    that are going to be very,very hard to beat.

Code5coupe: The site won't load for me right now, but it should be on there.
    www.issf.tv.

13. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

PS...another thing Kim asked me to: Pass on her telephone number for a friend of mine that I shoot with; a distant cousin of hers. She said she needs to catch up on that "side of the family" that are a bunch of second cousins and in laws. How many of us have the time to do that? Amazing...

14. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I got to shoot with Kim two years ago. I have always heard what a wonderful young woman she is and I never quite believed it. She made a believer of me. There isn't a conceited or posturing bone in that lady's body. She is a fine gal and a wonderful representative of both the shotgun sports and America.

15. cynergystan

cynergystan TS Member

I SHOOT AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK AT OAK TREE. I HAVE NEVER HAD THE GOOD FORTUNE OF SEEING, LET ALONE MEETING, KIM RHODE. SHE IS LEGENDARY AT THE CLUB, EVERYONE, WITHOUT EXCEPTION, COMMENTS NOT ONLY ON HER SKILL, BUT ON HER POISE, CHARM, INTELLIGENCE, HUMILITY AND KINDNESS. WHAT A LADY! DON'T BET AGAINST HER IN BEIJING. SHE HAS EVERYTHING IT TAKES TO BE THE GOLD MEDALIST.

16. Dickgshot

Code5coupe: Got to issf.tv; you'll see button center left that says: SEARCH
    Hit that button and it will bring up a menu with pictures on the right of different videos available. Hit the NEXT button on the upper right and the menu will change. It will take about three tries until you get to the menu with the womens skeet.
    Double click on the picture of the shooter and it will start the video on the screen in the upper left. There will be a little button on the bar under the video that will open it to full screen.

Also available is the mens trap final, mens double trap final, mens skeet final, and womens trap final.

Cynergystan: Using upper case is considered bad form on this forum, and is also more difficult to read. That's why no one else uses it.

17. Alpha_Three_Niner

Alpha_Three_Niner TS Member

Dynapro / Sportshot-
    I had the opportunity to work with one of the best woman shooters for several years. As part of her training routine, she would shoot skeet with 8-10 old cranky geezers at a backwoods rifle range once a week. I don't think the old farts knew who she was. The purpose of this training was to learn to cope with managing distractions. These old geezers had no mercy on her because she was a woman. This training was effective and produced results.

I think your comment is wreckless. I guarantee you Miss Rhode knows exactly what she is doing when she trains with new faces and less experienced shooters. No training session is conducted without clear objectives.

18. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I broached the subject of my presence being a distraction to her and her reply was that it was good for her as it helped her to remain focused. Her dad voiced the same thing.

I was aware that one should not mess with a serious training session unless invited to do so by the athlete and did not force myself into this but was instead, invited by Kim.

Back in the late 60s early 70s, I used to run in Griffith Park in Los Angeles 6 days a week. There I would run into Olympians like Frank Shorter and occasionally nationally ranked heavy weight and light weight boxers. All of them invited my to run with them too as it made training more interesting for them. If you can believe it, the boxers all ran swathed head to toe in sweats and wearing ordinary converse shoes,... so actually ran with mouth guards to restrict their breathing. Shorter was the smoothest long distance runner I ever ran with. For me, a 5:32 mile was running my hardest, Shorter could clock that time for 10 miles easy.

Wednesday was a great day for me and one I'll never foreget. Just last night as I was thinking about it, I thin I fgured out how Kim breaks those doubles with such consistancy. In breaking the high low combo, her gun barrel never goes past the midpoint on the high and breaks the low just a few degrees back from that mid point. There just isn't much left to right movement of that barrel and it all seems to happen at the same place with each shot. I think too, her leading foot was pointed at the point she plans on breaking the low or second bird. I don't know this for fact but based on my observations that seems to be what she was doing. I wish now I had the presence of mind to ask at the time.

19. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

just wondering , does she still shoot an mx-12, does it still have the g2 shockmaster.

20. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I asked her how many rounds were through that particular gun and she said "about a million". She even tore it down to show me the receiver and the inside of the forearm. With a smile she said that she did not clean her gun very often. That made me feel better because I stopped cleaning my gun about three months ago.

I was shooting a SXS Ruger Gold Lable and my reloads of 7/8 oz of #8 @ 1150 fps. She was shooting a slightly lighter shot charge (I forget what it was but it was in grams) at about 1200 fps IIRC. It was a Win AA load. I shot two of her loads and the felt recoil was about the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.