1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot weight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jollytrapshooter, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

According to the google calculator, 1 1/8 ounce of shot should weigh 492.1875 grains and 1 ounce should weigh 437.5 grains. Hope this helps, Josh.

2. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Josh: You are correct in your figures.
    HOWEVER,when using bushings,you are measuring by volume. Therefore, for example, a 32 bushing will WEIGH more with a smaller size shot.You can't switch back & forth from weight to volume or volume to weight. So you don't think of this while you are trap shooting,just forget what I just said.
    Joe

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Joe- We could turn this thread into a rather complicated mathematical discussion. Using the packing theory, the edge effect would be greater with 7.5 shot vs #8 shot when considering a one ounce load as opposed to a 1 1/8 oz load. If we used pure lead, not shot, we could show a difference in around the fourth decimal point.

Pat Ireland

4. psfive

psfive Member

I use an adjustable shot and powder charge bar in my MEC loader. I only load size 7-1/2 shot. The 7/8. oz. loads that I load are weighed 7/8 oz. not the volume of shot that a 7/8 oz. shot bar puts out. I mean they weigh as close to 7/8 oz. as possible ( as shot size and hardness vary slightly ) I have adjusted it that way. Now for the kicker the difference is 6 to 8 more shot per load in a 7/8 oz load. Only 6 to 8 shot per load in a "weighed" 7/8 oz. load as compared to a 7/8 oz. volume load. I used to think the difference was important, I worry about the strangest things. My 2 cents worth. Paul

5. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

I have to adjust my loader now!!! I cant sleep knowing that i can get 6-8 more pellets!!! Thanks for the info guys. Learn something new everyday.

6. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Doug is 100% correct. For a given VOLUME, the harder the shot,the lighter by
    weight. You can carry this on & on. Just remember it's best to use crushed ice, rather than ice cubes in your mixed drink. The same amount of crushed ice has greater surface area than the cubes, therefore your drink gets colder faster.
    Joe

7. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

Evidently you drinkers do not appreciate my advice in how to get your drinks,
    colder faster.:)
    Now,back to the trapshooting & my Terry Jordan's chart.
    The weather for the Delaware State Shoot is suppose to be really nice. I was hoping for strong winds,for those long yardage shooters. Again, just kidding.:)
    Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.