1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot weight?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by chatbrat, May 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I'm retired and I'm in no rush when it comes to reloading---just finished checking my 1 oz shot drops---#8-----404 grains,#81/2-----403 grains---would you tweek the shot drops to get to the max 437 grains? I use TGT wads, powder drops are just fine---looks like I loosing appprox 30 pellets / drop---Phil

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Phil, I've always been satisfied when the adjustable bar finds itself dropping somewhere betwixt 425 and 440 grains for 1 oz. I WOULD want to do a little tweeking were it as far off as you describe. Then again, missing 30 pellets is only .068 of the full load. Nah, I'd want it closer.....Bob Dodd

3. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Phil, if you were to use chilled lead, that measurement of weight would be much closer to 1 ounce. The higher the antimony content, the lesser the pellet weight by size. Hap

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Shot is dropped by a volume that is based on nearly-pure lead. Wads are designed based on that volume. If you add pellets to bring the lighter, harder shot up to the right weight, you have increased the volume as well.

You may find that the increased volume adds crush to your wad which adds wad pressure which increases peak ignition pressure. Check the new combination to be sure you aren't creating a compressed stack inside the hull.

Morgan

5. 101Diamond

101Diamond TS Member

I have found that various brands of magnum shot do not throw consistant wieghts. These numbers are based on 10 drops from my 1 1/8 bushing, all #8 shot:

West Coast 482-488 grains
    Black Diamond 492-498 grains
    Lawrence 507-512 grains

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Phil, why do you worry about the 30 pellets? If you want more, drill - or better chamfer - yours out a bit. If you want more yet, use a 1 1/8 bar if there's no 1 1/16 bar to get what you want with no trouble.

When I used to worry about things like this, I just used a big countersink, maybe 5/8 or so, and put a chamfer on the top side of the bar, a mini funnel into the straight-walled hole. If anything, the bar functioned better, with less grabbing.

Neil

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

We have known for many years that powder bushings rarely drop exactly the amount of powder they are advertised to drop. We all use scales to check powder drops. Why would we expect shot bushings to be better than powder bushings. Almost all reloaders and shooters who use discount shells who believe they are shooting 1 1/8 oz of shot are actually shooting less than that.

Pat Ireland

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Pat, Jerry Parr broke his first 100 from the 27 with the wally world 4 pac Federal "cheapies". Hap

9. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

The main reason that shot and powder bushings drop less than is indicated on the bushing is because of LIABILITY reasons. It's not due to a manufacturing defect.

It's a very simple matter to ream out the bushing slightly to get the desired amount of powder or shot. Keep in mind that when dealing with shot weights, a bushing will generally drop a heavier weight of smaller shot than it will of a larger size shot. It's not unusual for a bushing to drop 8 or 10 grains more of #9 shot than 7 1/2 shot.

Easystreet

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.