1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot weight--How crucial is it?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by xringjim, Jan 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

I found my old 250 Pacific was throwing a generous 1 1/8th. Now, I corrected it as best I can and now have it throwing about 20 #8 pellets short of 1 1/8th ounce. Keep in mind I'm using reclaimed which is somewhat deformed. Here's my question; Just how important is it to stay under ( or at) 1 1/8th ounce? I mean, at sanctioned shoots do they really make you toe the line or is going over 1 1/8th by 15 to 20 pellets a big deal? Obviously for load purposes I'd want to be smack on with my measures. What brought this to my attention was today I was loading some old AA's and they seem to be too full of shot. This was with cb4118 wads. And about 21 grains of Green Dot. Any help would be appreciated. Jim

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Under ATA rules you are allowed a margin of error. I believe a 3 percent error is allowed. Never seen shot weight checked at an ATA shoot. HMB

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I'd be equally concerned about what the extra shot weight is doing to the peak chamber pressure of your reloads. The more weight the powder has to move the higher the peak chamber pressure will get before the load starts to move.

MK

4. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

what unknown said. Additional wt. acts to drive initial pressure spike upwards. This obviously reduces any margins of error/chance. That you ask the Question says you're thinkin about it. Be safe. Regards, The TinMan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.