1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot velocity

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by singleshot54, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. singleshot54

singleshot54 TS Member

I have been shooting trap for about three years. Last August I shot in my first ATA match and at that time I joined ATA. I use Winchester Super X lead game load shells. On the box is 2 ¾ in, 3 ¼ DR. EQ., 1 oz. I shot 16 yd, 20 yd HDCP, and Doubles using these shells. My research indicates that 1 oz of shot at 3 ¼ DE would be about 1290 f/s. On page 50 of the ATA rule book this would be an okay load to use. However, I was talking with a more experienced trap shooter about this and he said that this load was not a legal load, being fired from my BT99 with a 34” barrel. This really bothered me so I contacted ATA about this and they told me that they didn’t regulate barrel length. So my question is, if ATA doesn’t regulate barrel length for shot velocity and barrel length directly effects shot velocity, how can you tell whether or not the shells you are shooting are legal to be used.

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

They are legal. If the box said over 1335 fps they would be illegal, but there are plenty of Federal bargain loads labeled "1 oz,. 3 1/4 D.E., 1290 fps" and they are legal so yours are too, Ss 54.

Neil

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What the box says is irrelevant. It is what the cronograph says compared to what the rule book says. HMB

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- A light chronograph or an inductive chronograph. They will give different readings.

Pat Ireland

5. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

I have never chrographed my shotgun loads. (I have done many, many rifle and pistol loads but never a shotgun load.) I take it for granted that what is stated on the the box is valid for the shells inside the box. I also believe the reloading manuals and trust that my loads approximate what is stated in the manual. I could be wrong but I don't think you can find many trapshooters who have actually chronographed their target loads.

All that said, Singleshot54, although your load is very legal, you are putting up with a lot of extra recoil with no payback. For 16 yard targets, I shoot 1 ounce loads but the velocity is less than 1200 fps (but greater than 1150) according the Alliant data I use.

6. singleshot54

singleshot54 TS Member

I only shot these load because I had ran out of shot and my local supplier was also out. My normal load is Win AA's loaded with 16.6gr of Clay Dot, CB 1100-12, Win209 (or CHEDDITE #209) 1 oz of #8 shot. I've chrono these and they give me 1145-1150 f/s in my 34" BT99 and about 1135 f/s in my 32" XT. For my second shot in doubles I use 17 gr of Clay Dot giving me 1190 f/s using 1 oz of #7 1/2

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gary Waalkes - I have chronographed a lot of shotgun loads. I am much more concerned with the consistency of the velocity readings than the actual velocity. A light chronograph is designed to measure a single object passing between the screens. A light chronograph can give some unusual readings from shot shells at times.

When I used my chronograph, I used great care keeping my barrel level and shooting through the center of the screens. I did this by adjusting the position of my elbows on the bench. There is a little problem adjusting your elbows with a release trigger. I have not had an entire chronograph for a little over a year but I do have some pieces of a chronograph.

Pat Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.