1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Velocity, pros/cons???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gmhgmh, Jul 28, 2013.

1. gmhgmh

gmhgmh TS Member

I'm a new shooter and I'm trying to figure out if faster is necessarily better. My friends tell me that as shot velocity increases the pattern spreads more rapidly-a bad thing? Also, since more powder is needed, more recoil. These are the two arguments against higher velocity, i.e., 1200 vs. 1290. Higher velocity shot reaches the clay faster. An advantage? If velocity has a diminishing return, why does ATA mandate max velocity by shot size? Insight would be appreciated. Thanks, George

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

The faster a given amount of shot, the more the recoil. I don't know if lead requirements are lessened that much with more velocity. Some will tell you that, but I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference. What are you trying to do, or are you just studying?

3. brownk80

brownk80 Member

Do the math for a 1200 fps vs. 1290 fps at 40 yards and tell me how much quicker the shot arrives at the target and just how far the target moves in that period of time. Moot point.

4. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Velocity per se, does not spread the pattern significantly. Dr. Andrew Jones and Neil Winston can testify, and have to that.

This week shot 4 patterns @ 35 yds. 7/8 oz., # 7 1/2, @ 1350fps. and the 4 pattern avg. was 85% with a Lt. Mod. choke (actually mic├ęd .014). Maybe a 1150fps. would have been better but 85% with good spacing is ok with me.

The Bunker, Olympic Trap, Trench, etc. shooters seem to favor speed and hard shot. Don't believe you would see a 1150fps. to 1200fps. load in Bunker at the Olympics, but then again, we're not shooting Bunker.

5. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

1140 is all you need. 1175 if you go past 24 yd line.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Find the velocity hat your gun likes and use that. You don't want to give your gun indigestion. HMB

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Bunker targets are harder and are thrown much faster and in more directions than ATA targets.

I think it is more important to always shoot the same, or nearly the same velocity. #8s launched at 1145fps have enough retained energy to break any ATA target from the 27 yard line.

That being said, if you are not bothered at all by recoil, faster and bigger is a small advantage. If your choices are 1oz @1290fps or 1 1/8oz @ 1145~1200fps, go with the 1 1/8oz. You'll have a much larger "sure kill" area to work with.

8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

When Winchester came out with the AA handicap shell @ 1250 FPS Many more shooters made the 27 yd. line. Speed was some factor.

Clyde