1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot used for "sand bag"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by thedemoguy, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedemoguy

thedemoguy TS Member

shot used for

Put oil on it or spray it with WD-40

2. famill00

famill00 TS Member

shot used for

tomk,
    If you are going to throw it away I am sure that there are plenty of us that will come over and help you load it into our pickup trucks. I would just use it. Just make sure you reload it outside or something so you dont breath the dust. Nice weather will be here soon.

Forrest

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

shot used for

I think the more important point is that Tom has a wife who will move a quarter-ton of shot in an attempt to stop a leak in the reloading room. Mine would wait until I got home and then say something like "You better check the reloading room. I left the door open so the water would drain out but something might have gotten wet."

Lucky guy!

Mike

4. 90T3200

90T3200 TS Member

shot used for

Maybe I'm special or something, but the shot I get has a plastic liner inside the cloth bag, so technically it should be perfectly dry.

Then again, your milage may very.

5. Mac V

Mac V Guest

shot used for

Ajax said...

<blockquote><I>"90T3200 that would be a good idea. The only plastic bags I have seen are the new ones. I think from West Coast. All the rest I'm familiar with are cloth."</I></blockquote>

Eagle puts their shot in a sealed plastic bag INSIDE the cloth bag...have done so for years. It's even partially vacuum packed.

Mike

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

shot used for

Star shot also comes in plastic then standard bag. Kinda pain in the arse to open and deal with but I understand it's done to prevent moisture while it's being shipped in the row boat from S. America.

I think Ajax is just about dead on, put the bags in a place where it all will dry out, heat and a fan will help and speed it up and just don't worry about it....Bob Dodd

7. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

shot used for

Out of curiosity, what is the risk you run from shooting "oxidized" shot? Isn't the oxidation essentially supeficial to the quality of the lead?

8. Mac V

Mac V Guest

shot used for

<blockquote><I>"Out of curiosity, what is the risk you run from shooting "oxidized" shot? Isn't the oxidation essentially supeficial to the quality of the lead?"</I></blockquote>
    <blockquote><I>" Would I be spreading oxidized lead vapors down the line for my squadmates to breath? I decided it would probably not be significant."</I></blockquote>

The risk is not to your squadmates, it's to you as a reloader. Lead oxide is light and powdery and easily spread into the air as the shot is dumped into the hopper. That's when you'll breathe it in a concentrated form.

Mike

9. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

shot used for

Thanks Mike. I didn't think of that risk.

That being said, wouldn't there be a risk also in trying to tumble it?

10. d endicott

d endicott Member

shot used for

If the bags get mildew on them be careful when you pick them up or you may have shot all over the floor as they will rip out.

11. willing

willing Member

shot used for

I had 4 or 5 bags that got wet when a pipe burst. The shot turned kind of white, but I oaded it as normal and noticed no difference. If you're not a real crack shot you'll never know the difference. Maybe not even then.

Bill

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

shot used for

tom2- It is my opinion that you are over reacting to what is probably a minor nuisance. Let the shot bags dry in open air. Take them out of the air tight bottles. You will not notice any difference in the way the shot preforms when shot. If some of the bags got really wet, you may find clumps of shot that have bonded together. These can block your drop tube.

I would not worry about a possible health hazard to your squad mates. The ground around your club is full of lead powder, some lead oxide and quite a lot of lead carbonate formed from shot on the ground. The wind blows this dust all over things.

A major potential source of toxic lead in the soil around a busy road. Leaded gasoline from the past has contaminated this soil. With your shot, I suggest you be a little more careful than the Public Service Authority is when they dig up this contaminated soil to repair water/sewer lines.

Pat Ireland

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

shot used for

Let it fry and load it up. I carried a bag of shot in the back of my pickup(all sorts of weather) for a couple of months,it turned white from oxidation, but I could tell no difference in my scores when I shot it. No big deal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.