1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot the "short rib" today

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I shot the add on short rib I made.. After getting it adjusted for me..it did make things easier for me.. and my last round was almost like the old days.. I think I made it a little to low.. Maybe the factory knew what they were doing.. A higher rib will be soon comming.. I'll keep you posted..
    [​IMG]
    All Good.. Mike

2. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Shot the

Mike,
    Here's a photo of my short rib that's a near clone of Perazzi's new "Short Rib"
    the ramp is yet to be cut and the rib milled, when this task is complete its off to be anodized. I thought yours looked a little low, mine may be to high? Anyway I'll try to get the clamps in tomorrows mail.

Surfer
    [​IMG]

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Shot the

Interesting concept.

I'd be worried about the add on rib being clamped in that manner tearing the factory rib off the barrel if it ever got struck hard.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shot the

Many years ago when I first saw a short rib on a Ljutic Space Gun, I was convinced that it would never work. A few seconds later, I mounted the gun and was convinced that the short rib would work very well.

However, considering political correctness, would it not be better to call this device a length challenged rib?

Pat Ireland

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Shot the

Beautiful job on the rib.. Hope it works out well for you.. The height now looks about right to me.. Mine is to low.. All Good.. Mike

6. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Shot the

Years ago, I made one of these short ribs that extended back to the middle bead on my 870 TB. I liked the way the gun shot then. A friend of mine tried it, and I sold the barrel to him. I like the concept.
    Steve Balistreri

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Shot the

I think you've answered a question Steve, what's the right length? The ones I made were too short. Still fun. Bob

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Shot the

I experimented with the length that's in the above picture, and one that extended back to the middle bead. For me, the one that was extended back to the middle bead felt and shot just right for me.
    Steve Balistreri

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Shot the

I'm still guessing.. but mine is about 12.5" long and worked well... I'd think somewhere between that an 15"..would be the answer..

10. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Shot the

Jerrie White was making various examples of these back in the 80's. I still have one of his clamp on ribs for a Remington, not as high but he made some that looked just like the ones in the Olympic photos that are all the rage now. Interesting comcept for sure.

11. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

Shot the

I have not been able to find a picture of the new Perazzi shortrib, info or price. Where can I find it?

12. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Shot the

I was on a European shooting site and they make add on ribs that are held on with magnets. I thought what a great idea then the add on rib could be switched from gun to gun. I have used magnetic sights with out any issues for years.
    Buddy

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Shot the

<i>"....considering political correctness, would it not be better to call this device a length challenged rib?" Pat Ireland</i>

Trapshooters are People of Size.

14. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Shot the

is the short rib, as found on the MX2005SR (pictured above) well suited for trap type targets or could this rib be useful for sporting clays with the variety of falling and rising targets?

15. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Shot the

Well. reflecting on yesterday.. It's a DB-81..(my rib height).. No better or worse.. Kept my head errect.. The short rib is a bit lighter..and good for bunker.. I'm a one eyed shooter..so looking across the rib I don't do anyway..
    End of the day.. I started shooting correctly..looking at the target.. not seeing the rib at all.. pulling thru the target and breaking most of them.. The rib was strictly a mounting tool..a check for my face to the stock... Once I raised the comb..about 1/4".. I was crushing the birds..

I don't think it's a cure all for the world..but being out there kept my eyes in long focus.. and that might have been some help.. When I get my cataracs fixed.. it probably will not matter.. Having my head more errect I think does help me see more clearly.. short rib.. full rib.. errect is errect..

For the cost of a piece of balsa wood and 2 strips of paper tape.. anyone can try.. Let us know how you like it.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.