1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot terriable today but learned alot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ec90t, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Mike,

It was only a bad day when one shoots poorly and doesn't learn why! It sounds to me, like you had a productive day at the range.

ec90t

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Hang in thre Mike, it is part of the game. Mental attitude will help you recover

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Hope it is better tomorrow!

Matt

4. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

So Mike,

I'm curious, did you end up choking more, or less?

Kip

5. Hatshooter

Hatshooter TS Member

Hang in there Mike, I went to Kerrrville last spring, I had never seen a bunker before. My average was 8 targets, with a high of 11 and a low of 4 targets.

6. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Mike ... it aint as bad as you think. Bunker is allot more difficult to consistently shoot well than any other shooting sport.

Are you shooting one shell or both?

The reason I ask is you need to work on the single shot, that first barrel and get consistent with that one shell shooting. A shootoff will be single shot only and thats what counts.

I have found in my bunker shooting that even knowing there is a 2nd shell in the gun screws with my mental game ... even though I aint gonna shoot that shell I tell myself dont worry, there is a 2nd shell if you want it and ... well that mental game can kill your score.

Work on the single shell game and when you miss continue to follow threw until that target hits the ground. Sooner or later you will be busting the crap out them and when you are consistently breaking 80% with a single shot then begin the 2nd shot game and chances are you will see your score drop a little but ... you know what to do and how to do it.

Keep working at it and remember ... Rome was not built in a day and even if the Berlin wall basiclly fell over night and man walked on the moon none of that has anything to do with the frustrations you can get from shooting bunker trap but would it be worth shooting if it were that easy to do?

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

What can you learn from perfect scores? Practice is just that. You should learn. To many people just shoot at targets for the sake of shooting them. That's not practice.
    Joe goldberg

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Newbius, No offense but I disagree. I shoot bunker 4 or 5 days most weeks. I shoot often with some of the best shooters in the US. All the good bunker shooters set up for the second shot. Most of them shoot the second shot if there is even a piece big enough to go after. Sure, there is some practice with one barrel for the finals. But, bunker is a two shot game. It should be approached that way. Setting up properly for the second shot also puts you in the best position for the first. My .02. Jake

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

I bow to your bunker shooting expertise Jake but if your rely and are always taking that 2nd shot to break that target just how good are you? I would think a really great shooter could do very well on single shots and make up for the very few he would miss with there 2nd shot and only mediocre shooters would need to break most with the 2nd shot ... but then as I said I bow to your expertise in it all.

Break em all and if you need that 2nd shot take it to break as many as you can.

Mike - keep up the practice but remember that it is all just one target at a time and what shatter into a gazillion bits of dust today might fly away and leave you beating your head on the concrete tomorrow. It is a frustrating but fun game and it does take work ... far to much work at times but even that type of work can be fun.

10. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

Wheee, ain't this fun.

11. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I am shooting the best in my life. My first day of the new skeet league I shot 50 straight. Last Saturday I ran 25 on the skeet range then went and ran 25 on the trap range with the same gun. I could have kept shooting to see how long I could have stretched it but decided to go home and not ruin a good thing. It is funny. I have been shooting for a few decades now and have shot thousands of clay targets. But I still love watching a target blow up as much as I did my first one.

12. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Newbius, You are absolutely right about breaking the birds with the first shot. A VERY HIGH percentage of scored bunker birds are hit with the first shot. And it is the nature of the game that when one makes a bad initial point it is very hard to correct with the second shot. I imagine even the best bunker shooters score in the 50% range on second shots.
    None the less, there is a second shot allowed and if one sets up to shoot it everything works better. The first shots are easier from that position and mind set in my opinion.
    Ennio Mattarelli used to step forward to the front foot with the back supported only on the toe to shoot. He said it was the only way he could prepare for the second shot. (This was in the days of 34 gram 3 1/4 dram loads. Susan Nattress still shoots that way.
    Mike, keep at it. Pick a gun you like and stay with it. Any of the shells will break the birds with a correct point. This is an instinct game. Don't over think it.
    Regards, Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.