1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot strings

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by IM390, Feb 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IM390

IM390 Member

All things being equal, gun, load, etc. which has a shorter shot string a full choke or a modified choke?

2. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

. . . however, full-choke shot strings are shorter than cylinder-choke shot strings at any range beyond about - as I remember - 18 feet.

Keep in mind, however, that for trap shooting shot strings are irrelevant, and if they weren't, we'd be worse off than we are.

Neil

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Is it true that the longer the shot string, the better the shot string is for shooting trap. HMB

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

According to Brister, the most significant variable in shot string length is _not_ deformed pellets...these are considered "lost" from the pattern at any significant range, and play very little to no role in breaking targets. His work concluded that initial air resistance is the most significant variable...the more pellets that can be at least partially shielded from maximum air resistance for the longest time, the shorter the string will be. Hence, his empirical data showing that at target breaking distances, Full choke has the shortest strings. The group of pellets is "packed" together like billiard balls in a triangle as it comes through the choke, and this tightly-clustered group shields more pellets from the full brunt of air resistance, for a longer time.

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Some simple arithmetic will demonstrate that shot string has no role in either breaking or missing a target. A 10' shot string will pass a target before the target can travel more than a couple of inches. Target speed at 30 yards is about 35 MPH. This can quickly be changed to ft/sec (5280 X 35 /12 X 3600). If the shot has slowed to 1000 ft/sec and the string is 10 feet, things get very simple. Remember, the target is not going at a right angle to the shooter.

Pat Ireland

7. Neil Winston

No, in theory anyway, hmb. Shorter is better. In practice, of course, it's irrelevant since you can't do anything about it anyway.

Neil

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Maybe Welderman can repost his slo-mo video that he took at the club last year? How bout it Tom? Not sure if it is still in the archives

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

search for the July 15th 08 post by Welderman for the vid

10. RickM18

RickM18 TS Member

If the shot string means nothing why not shoot trap with slugs?

11. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Without a shot string, I would think the breaks would be entirely different. Not saying more or less, just different. From the pictures previously posted here, with a shot string, the leading pellets break the target and the trailing pellets hit the dispersed target pieces creating quite a smoke ball in some cases. Trap wouldn't be quite as spectacular without a shot string.

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

Geezus...I can see a lot of people flunked high school geometry here.

13. Paladin

Don't be bashful buzz-gun, elaborate.

14. Paladin

It's long, 8 to 10 feet, from tests posted here.

15. Neil Winston

You are sure they were tests, Paladin?

Neil

16. Paladin

You tell me Neil. You had referenced the tests. The info came from one of your posts.

Edit) You had referenced the length, in one of your posts.

17. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Yeah and in high school all the math teachers always said that pie r square!! That's the biggest crock O crap I ever heard, pie r round, cornbread r square! gheesh, so much for teachers!

Hap

18. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Well shot string might not get any targets but on a hard left,I get a chip on the left edge,,,,,,I have to think I hit it with the tail end of my shot string...

Years ago there was a fellow that measured shot string with a station wagon and a boat trailer with about 16 feet of cardboard affixed. I think it was,40yds,40mph,and to get all the shot on the cardboard,the lead was the back of the car.(too risky for my blood) So I guess,you can miss a little in front but not a bit behind,yes..

About a year and a half ago I sent to some folks a little program that showed perceived and actual lead. Seems that a 35mph target with shot going 1000 feet per second,a 90 degree target and a 35 degree target have the same actual lead,but not perceived lead. Whiz and Devi were two that I sent it to.

GOOD LUCK

19. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Check out the video that Rickn posted for me on the "reading breaks II" thread.
    I think this video should change a lot of theories about string length.

20. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

A full cohoke will have a shorter shot string than modified from the little that I know. The old belief seemed to be the opposite. The original barrel guru Tom Seitz was the first that convienced me of this theory. He did tests to prove such. I have no idea where the data is now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

slow motion shot stings trap shooters dourm