1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

SHOT STRING OR PATTERN

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sub-jr25, May 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sub-jr25

sub-jr25 TS Member

What is more important shot string or pattern? For learning to shoot a new gun.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, shot string is completely irrelevant, and you shouldn't even think about it.

As far as pattern goes, its important enough, but there are other things more important to consider.

Like gun fit.

3. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

They both work in conjunction. Your pattern does not get there all at once, I believe in shotstring and pattern, shotstring grinds up the target in my opinion, if you get the front of the shot string on the target the shot string comes into it and causes the smoke. My gun with full choke tube has a 19 inch pattern at 42 paces, I love it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Shot strings are irrelevant, except that long ones are worse than irrelevant, since they degrade patterns and once you get to the 27, you need all you can get.

Neil

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shot string and pattern are both irrelevant if the gun doesn't shot where you are looking. HMB

6. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

A new shooter can use shot string to advantage. If you shoot in front of the target you may still get a break as the clay enters the string. If you are behind the target it will be lost. Start with plenty of lead, perhaps twice what you think, and work your way back until you are maximizing your breaks. Remember lead is one area where a little to much is better than to little. Due to shot string. Next comes elevation.

7. Neil Winston

infer, in trap that's never going to happen. You can go through Lowry's math to see why.

Neil

8. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Both are important. I don't think you can shoot 7 1/2's or smaller and not have shot string. I have never pattern my shotgun and personally believe it's the kiss of death (only an opinion). After shooting for over 30 years I can tell whether the gun shoots where I look by shooting a round with it. That's all the science I need. BT-100dc

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

BT-100dc I agree but what would we talk about . To me all this stuff don,t break targets BB,s do .

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

sub-jr25, you can completely forget about shot string for ATA trap. They are all going away targets. The biggest angle you will shoot is about 25 degrees right or left, so it really is inconsequential.

Pattern is not. There is a wealth of evidence out there that shows you get your best results with a Pattern Efficiency of approximately 80% at target distance.

So if you hit your singles targets at 32 yards, on average, use the choke that puts 80% of the pellets into a 30" diameter circle at that distance. The more even it is, especially in the inner 20" circle, the better.

11. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

As the shot leaves the muzzle and wad does each pellet take off in a cone pattern? If so would the pellets that hit the outer edges of the pattern board be hitting it later because they have traveled further than the pellets that hit closer to the center? So is the answer to how long the shot string is a mathamatical problem that could be solved? How is this going to help me hit more targets?

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

We're making this way too hard again. See the target, shoot the target. Have fun.

-Gary

13. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Gary, you think we are pole vaulting over mouse turds?

14. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

Math is cool. You can prove any point with it from 'steady state' to 'big bang'. So try shooting behind the targets and then try shooting in front. See what works for you and go from there. You can change your pattern simply by changing the choke. So experiment and find the one that seems to work best for you. Shot string is a little more difficult for most of us to measure. Usually you are stuck with what you get,so why not make the most of it? Mathematics aside that is. Yes I know choke will also affect string. I just have no way to accurately measure the effect. (suppose I could compute it though. Hmmmm..new project)

15. Neil Winston

Infer, the fact that you have to shoot ahead of the target has nothing to do with shot string. Imagine you were shooting a .22 at the trap target. You would have to shoot in front of it because it takes time for the bullet to get to its target, and in that time interval the bird will have moved to a new position, ahead of the one where it is when the gun goes off. But there's obviously no shot string.

So the "test": shooting ahead or behind, is no proof of the existence of a shot string or its effect,.

Neil

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

"Pole vaulting over mouse turds?" Hmmm, I like that. I shall borrow it.

Thank you, ccw1911.

Gary

17. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

That will be fine just make sure the author gets credit. LOL

18. crusha

crusha TS Member

Shot string is irrelevant to the average shooter, because he:

A) Can't measure it, and

B) Can't control it.

So that about covers it, I think.

As a rule - stick with stuff you can control.

...And if some blowhard horns in on you with some guff about how you actually can control shot string...ask him how, and to show you his measurements. (You'll find out he's full of sh!t straight away).

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

buzz-gun - Don't be so certain that shot string can't be measured. I am still playing with that problem. I have been able to record the sound of the shot string hitting a tin sheet at 40 yards. Converting the length of the sound on the tape to time is a problem. I just can't get a recorder that will accurately record fast and play back slow. Measuring 1/1000 of a second it not easy for me.

Pat Ireland

20. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Pat, record a time code on one track and record on the other. You can use a variety of time code generators and readers for audio. Video time code will not be sufficient unless you are using a professional deck. You can also import the sound track into your computer and using the appropriate software, watch your recording on screen (with time code). That way you will not have to listen for each hit, you'll see each hit as a spike in the frequency plot on the screen. Way, way easier than fussing with analog playback. You can move forward with your mouse instead of a transport.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.