1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot storeage

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ricks1, Mar 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

to the shot makers here is a warning DO NOT store shot in the 2 lt soft drink bottles i thought they worked good as was easy to fill reloader and each holds 30lbs i NOW know what 30lb of shot looks like when its all over the room looks more like 500lbs seems that the bottles are biodegradeable they get briddle and split had first one open its self stuck thumb in other got must of it over can oh if you dont think home shot is round well it ANT square and 20 or so lbs covers a LARGE area rick

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Possible cause of problem is exposure to sunlight. Plastic can become brittle when exposed to sunlight. HMB

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Someone should be held to answer for why a shotshell loader and 2-liter bottle have the same threads. That certainly contributed to the tragedy. While we're in the mood for litigation, why is it that a 2-liter bottle filled with lead shot can't survive the vibrations of being mounted on a shotshell loader without splitting and dumping its contents all over the loader, loading bench, gun room floor and the loader operator? How that just HAS to be someone else's fault!

Yes, I tried it too...

On a more serious note, I even had a MEC shot bottle collapse at the neck once. Apparently I wasn't the only one to experience that, as MEC has offered a bottle support system for years - and yes, my loader has had one since they came out.

Ed

4. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I only put 25# in them and keep them in a seperate parts tub for just in case this would happen. I also have put shot in the 1/2 gallon milk jug with handle. Not sure which one will hold up better? The only other thing would be to put into old shot canvas bags i would suppose and re-sew them. Any other suggestions?

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

I place all my shot,factory or homemade in the 5 pound new style plastic coffee containers, 25 pounds only fills them maybe 3/4 and they flex just enough to make a "spout" to pour into my shot bottle.

Bill

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

At the beginning or during a loading session, I open a bag, pour some into a metal coffee can which has had a permanent spout formed in the top. I fill the tall bottle on the loader as needed, and then pour the rest into the coffee can for temporary storage. The bottle on the loader is filled by pouring from the coffee can and through a 20 oz pop bottle top acting as a funnel.

7. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Try wrapping the bottle COMPLETLEY with duct tape. Bet it won't split than. Although after reading this post I should be careful. I don't use pop bottle but do pour a open bag of shot into a 8 lb powder bottle. Guess it could split too. Even an oz or 2 looks like a lot of shot. Would hate to see 25lbs on my garage floor.

8. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

If you say Fla. then you ot to try storing something in the Phoenix area. Pulled out my box of bagged and bottled shot I had not looked at in two years. The baggs were even dried out an shreded. The bottles were cracked and broke to. Thank goodness it all stayed in the box. The only thing is there were 7 1/2's, 8's, 9's & 6's. A good mix of shot, Aye!! Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

9. plinker61

plinker61 TS Member

i like the 1/2 gallon milk jugs,easy to pour & are heavyer plastic than 2 litre bottles,mark

10. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

i am going to try the 1/2 gal Jim Beam glass jugs i can get them at the VFW i think they will work one thing i do use is the top part of the 2 lt makes a good funnel will screw into the Mec bottle so it dont tip over rick

11. dhg

dhg TS Member

I've stored shot in Clorex bottles and never had a problem. they have a handle and are very easy to pour out of when shot bottle needs refilled.

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I use the 64 oz grape juice bottles from Wally world. They seem to be heavier made and I love the handle. Jackie B.