1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Sticking in my PW -Help Needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by citadel, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. citadel

citadel Active Member

I have been loading a lot of 28 and 410 ga loads in my PW 800+. I am using reclaimed shot for the practice rounds. I am having problems with the shot sticking in the shot drop tube in the smaller gauge shells. My thought is that the reclaim may not have enough graphite on it to allow it to flow smoothly through the fairly narrow tube. Has any one else experienced this problem and what is the solution. If it is the graphite can anyone tell me where to buy a supply so that I can coat the shot to prevent the problem. I know that I could buy new shot but I am to cheap do do that when I am shooting 500 rounds or more a week as it really adds up.
    Your help is appreciated.
    Doug

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Any farm supply store will have it ... a few bucks and you will have a lifetime supply!

Hardware store carry it also, but it will cost you more.

3. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

It sticks in my 12 gauge loader also. It is nasty stuff. Probably covered with oxidation and crud. Graphite won't likely solve the problem. I have cleaned it in a vibratory case cleaner but it makes a mess and takes forever. MOre trouble than it is worth.

4. skeezix

skeezix Member

I've chucked a dowel and scotch-brite up into a cordless drill and slicked up the insides of the drop tube. seems to help.

John

5. citadel

citadel Active Member

Up. Good ideas.
    Doug

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

make sure the drop tube is slick as sometime it will have like a rim(for lack of a better word) and will hang there. Clean it real well and use some furniture polish in it. I don't have the problem with the 28's but frequently do with the 410 as the reclaimed shot is often 7 1/2's and just hangs.

7. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

My shot was bridging.. I took a wire brush from my gun cleaning kit and used it to polish the shot drop tube.. fixed her right up!

8. 25deadbirds

25deadbirds TS Member

The quality of re-claim has much to do with it. Also, much of reclaim is from trap fields where there's a higher level of shot density and also a higher level of 7.5 size shot. That'll bridge in the slickest 410 drop tube. Don't forget too that on the PW, the drop tube goes all the way into the hull and the shot sorta stacks up and is let loose when the drop tube is backed out. A slickened drop tube sure does help though. Mine looks like a mirror inside. I also am careful and watch the shell after it's supposed to have shot in it, if not, I slip a small funnel over the hull and tap on the tube with a dowel rod and the shot comes out. It's slower but still much faster than any other loader out there for 410.

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Doug,

I have watched a few reclaim operations. Most put the shot in cement mixer and just add some motor oil to make it look good. It looks nice but the oil causes it to stick in the drop tube.

I have a friend that washes his reclaimed shot in a dish soap solution to remove the oil. Then he has to spread it out and let it dry.

Seems like way too much trouble to me.

Someone like McMaster Carr should have powdered graphite. You could try talcum powder to see if it will absorb the oil. Motor Mica would work too but it will cost more than the talcum powder.

Jim Skeel

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

We tumble/mix the shot in a ver slow speed mud bucket used for mixing ceramic tile mud.

We tumble it to wash, let it dry, tumble it again, clean things up then tumble it again with graphite.

Works for us.

WW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.