1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot sporting clays today

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smsnyder, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

shot sporting clays today. this sport makes you real humble. my average in trap makes me feel like a champion compared to my scores in sporting clays. Don't ask. lol

2. ThorsDad

ThorsDad TS Member

smsnyder, As long as you're shooting and having fun it's all good. Remember more lead! Jay

3. gunnertom

gunnertom TS Member

Need more Info ? I've never shot sporting clays but have a few places close by How much fun was it an what was involved.It suonds like a lot of fun .

Tom

4. smsnyder

you have to try this sport. more relexing than trap. you can even talk between shots.( scores, who cares.) i still love trap shooting. i can't imagine shooting sporting clays with a 410. lol

5. ec90t

ec90t Guest

To all on here that have never shot a round of sporting clays, you owe it to yourself to do so. Those that love to shoot will enjoy it emencely.

smsnyder,

I can tell by your post that will go back for more! And yes it is a humbling experience. A lot of fun all the same.

gunnertom,

If you have a pump, semi-auto, O/U, or SxS that shoots reasonably flat that is all you need. some 3 dram 1 1/8oz shells are more than suffecient.

ec90t

6. smartass

smartass TS Member

Walk, what's that? Walking in sporting clays went out of stlpe a long time ago.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I took my brother shotgun shooting for the first time last week.

I decided to take him sporting clays shooting as I knew he would have a great time.

Nothing againts trap or skeet, but if your looking for pure fun...

Each station is it's own seperate challenge.

We saw skeet and trap presentations, as well as many others. New shooters love the rabbit shots...

We used IC choke and 1oz #8's.

For most courses except for major shoots, that's all you need.

8. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

It is a great shotgun sport! I love to shoot the small bore events at the major sporting clays tournaments. It can get quite expensive & it's very addictive but it's a lot of fun & challenge at the same time!

9. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

ysr_racer... Walk?

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Not at Island Lake.

Jerbear

10. gunnertom

gunnertom TS Member

I'm going to try it soon,what chokes should I use ?

Thanks Tom

11. gunnertom

gunnertom TS Member

P.S Quail Creek is only 10 miles from home ,an is suppose to be a really nice place.

12. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Take everything from Skeet 1 to Modified. That is if you are going to use a 12 ga. I very rarely change choke tubes. I switch from Skeet 1 to I/C if I have a long shot(35 yards or better). You will want to try out what works best for you.

The one thing that you will learn from sporting clays is how over choked most everyone is at trap!

ec90t

13. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

When you have put about half the rounds you have in trap in sporting clays you will be better than most.

Rock

Jim

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Sporting clays is a blast (pun intended).<br>
    <br>
    It's also a much more relaxed atmosphere than trap. I like shooting trap, but I REALLY like shooting sporting clays.

15. smsnyder

i did so poor in sporting clays it made my trap scores look easy. i broke a 50 straight tonight in trap. perhaps shooting clays had something to do with my scores tonight. the truth is i broke 48 out of 100 in sporting clays yesterday. what a difference in sports. lol

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Smsnyder...it most definantly does make you better at trap

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

gunnertom, You will really love Quail Creek. I have shoot there about a dozen or so times. The place is very nice,as well as the people who run it. 14 stations with water at every other. You can rent carts as well. Call in advance for a shoot time with cart. I use I/C chokes for the red course and light Mod for the blue. For the first few times try the red course first. Have two different 5 stands as well. If you go on the weekends I highly recommend the barbacued food that a local cooks up for the shooters its great. If you like shooting, you'll have a great time. Break-em all. Jeff

18. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Smsnyder,

In all fairness to your score, what gun did you use?

ec90t

19. biggreen

biggreen TS Member

For chokes, I would carry Cyl., Lt.-Mod and I-Mod.

20. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I shot registered sporting for ten years. I came back to trap and now only shoot small 50 bird benefit shoots once in awhile just for fun with friends. Sporting (IMO) can't yet be taken seriously as a competitive sport. The actual shooting part of sporting clays is fun, but there are numerous downsides to the sport as it stands today. The people are different, many being new to shooting, snooty, unsafe, don't or never hunted, etc etc. They are equipment freaks, suckers for every gimmick and gizmo known to mankind, many having (and using) all of their 12 choke tubes on a course where everything can be shot with one choke. The shooters have little to no control over their sport. Sporting is basically run by the shooting industry and the range owners. Prices are way out of control and the willing sheep are gouged at the larger shoots. Target costs are the highest and winnings are the lowest of all of the shotgun sports by wide margins. Cheating is commonplace and rarely addressed in any meaningful way. The classification system keeps changing and is unfair.

Sporting is still fun to shoot for "shits and giggles", but that's where it stops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.