1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

shot speed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 686, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686

686 TS Member

if you are using 12 ga1 1/8 load at 1200 fps why would you not use the same speed for 1 oz and 7/8 oz loads? it seams that you would be better off with the same speed in what ever load. thanks charles

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Because trap is a precision shooting sport. A few milliseconds can make a big difference, If you dwell on it.

Jim :)

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You would if you were using your head, charles. However, people (on TS.com mostly, in the "real world" scarcely at all, as far as I can tell) have fallen in love with low shot weights and will shoot them no matter what the recoil is and the lost targets which follow as does the night the day.

The recoil from "Handicap" one-ounce loads is just like the three-drammers you mention (by test, recoil being speed of gun movement) and so it is the worst of all possible tradeoffs but don't try to tell trapshooters that . . .

Neil

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

686, I am also one who prefers everything at the same speed. It seems I can go a little faster for handicap without messing up my timing, but I can only tolerate the recoil of 1 1/8oz at 1200 or 1235 fps for one event. So I standardize on 1150fps. I can tolerate 300 1/18 @ 1150 in a day if it's an important enough shoot. Otherwise I mix them up. Ouncers for singles and first shot at doubles, and 1 1/8oz for the rest. I don't shoot 7/8oz in competition, because I like higher scores and my head and score sheet both tell me I need more shot.

5. 686

686 TS Member

it is the timing i was talking about. if you are use to 1200 or 1235. i think it would be best to shoot the same speed to keep the correct timing. i think this would be for any sport. i know some that prastic sporting clays with full choke as to have a smaler spot to get use to so in a match with a more open choke they will have more room for being a little off. thanks charles

6. My-stores

My-stores TS Member

Neil.. As I've said before.. large charges of FAST burning powder to me.. kicks more than an equal amount of slow burning.. I will NOT shoot the Winchester 1 oz. handicap shells.. as they BITE.. but have no problem with the 1 1/8oz Super Handicap shells..
    Personally I prefer a FAST 3/4oz or 13/16th for practice.. It gives me crushing breaks..with the tight chokes I practice with.. Builds my confidence to see inkballs..
    For a match however.. I shoot 2 3/4dram 1 1/8oz of #8 My FAST 7/8oz and slow 1 1/8oz seem to have similar recoil.. My light 3/4oz have very little recoil..

7. My-stores

My-stores TS Member

I will say this.. when I play from the 27.. I REQUIRE a fast shell..I can't hit the crossers with a slow shell.. Yes.. I know.. mind game.. When I pull the trigger..with say a 1255 it's pull/break.. when I shoot a 1150.. to me it seems to be pull....../......../....break.. Now.. I know our math majors will tell me the target only moves an aditional 4 inches.. and its all in my head..but I preceive it..and it bothers me.. I'd rather give up some shot weight..and increase speed if I had too.. Now I will say.. 1255/1275/1300.. I don't see any real difference in timing.. but the 1150 to 1255 I definately see a difference.. If my life depended on the outcome.. and I could not shoot my AA Super Handicaps or Nitro 27's.. I'd rather have 24 gram International shells than the lite 1 1/8oz..

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Mike, I can tell the difference in time between lights and heavies myself and I think that's just amazing. My scores are no different, but I seem to have to wait for the outcome with the slower ones and can't figure out how that can be done. I can't shoot handicap-speed shells for a whole hundred so I back off to three-dram and do as best I can.

I agree that the handicap one-ounce loads are way too abusive and wonder how anyone can put up with them.

Neil

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

My-stores ... dang tootin, a fast moving 1350fps 7/8oz load of shot will keep its pattern and break them as far as any slow moving 1250fps 1-1/8oz load will any day of the week.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

My-stores, your perceptions are accurate although I see similar differences between 1250fps handicap loads and bunker loads at 1325fps.

For those interested, there is actually slightly less free recoil in a 1oz @ 1290fps handicap load than there is in a 1 1/8oz @ 1200fps Light Handicap load. The 1oz loads hurts more because the gun is accelerated more rapidly. It's the difference between a jab and a shove.

11. My-stores

My-stores TS Member

Hi guys.. I'm glad weagree on this.. My perception of speed runs out at a certain point. The 3 dram..1200 is Ok.. but touching on my perception problem.. The Nitro 1235fps?? Is the beginning of the speed at which.. from the 27..doesn't screw with my head.. Once it's pull/break.. That's as far as my perception goes.. If you mixed up some 1150's 1200's 1235's,1255,1275,1300.. I probably could only sort out the 1150's.. Now.. I can easier shoot a 24 gram at 1350 than the 1 oz 1290's.. The 1290 1 oz just BITES.. Now.. with a PFS they are OK..but I'd never buy them unless they went on sale REAL cheap. My internal shooting computer say.. 3 flinches in every box.. All Good..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.