1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Speed Regulation

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

I just had another one of my unusual ideas. Assuming that we will be forced one day to use steel shot, could it be a good idea to begin development of magnetized barrels to control shot velocity and recoil? That way we could shoot the same shells in doubles but with a stronger magnet, make the first shot light. Also, if the shot in handicap loads were magnetized, we could reverse the magnetic poles of the barrel and increase the shot velocity with less powder.
    Sounds good to me.

Pat Ireland

2. Don S

Don S Member

And Winter hasn't even started.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A plastic barrel with progressively located magnets could propel the shot with no usage of powder. Each magnet would be energized a nanosecond or 2 later as the charge went down the barrel.

Of course you could achieve more velocity with a longer barrel (more magnets).

HM

4. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

I'm scared, very scared! How about target seeking shot?

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I assume you are talking about a barrel that acts like a linear accelerator?

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

You could use electromagnests, controlling the power by the amount of electrical current run through those magnets. You could adjust MV by the number of car batteries and welding cable you had plugged into your barrel....

Then, the big debate wouldn't be "7 1/2's or 8's??", but rather deep cycle or lithium ????

7. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Now who's going to pack around the liquid Helium for the superconductors?

Just think how you could choke the end of the barrel with magnets and a little current!

As far as using magnets to propel the load, I think that you would have problems with the wad stayiong put to hold the string together before it left the barrel. I could see a trailing bit of shot getting propelled backwards because it couldn't keep up with the core string.

ec90t

8. 100straight

100straight Member

Here's a link for all you designers and ballisticians out there. I think that Marlin should work on this project and develop the first "Marlin Gauss Gun."

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

9. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I to thought this would have been a winter sort of thing to think about!!
    Course if all were livin here in the Phoenix area there might not be such a thing as thinking winter thoughts. This is the land of the sun. Oh by the way where is Mr. Sun today? Very cloudy today, supposed to be the same tomorrow. On second thought. We could think the winter thought now I guess.

Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

10. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Mark, may you be buried in several feet of used AA Win wads!

Best,
    Dennis

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

tomk2- Economically produced magnetized targets would have to have some iron in them. I think I have shot iron targets before and I did not like them.

Pat Ireland

12. Gavin

Gavin Active Member

Pat
    Mangnet powered guns are called rail guns. Take a look at the above website. Google images also has some interesting photos of rail guns.

Gavin

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Gavin- Thanks for your post. I guess I will need Neil to help figure out how strong a magnet would be needed for 1200 ft/sec.

chipped1- No need for a test. Lead has never been poisoned through contamination by me.

What will happen when Winter gets here and the short days and cold temperatures keep me inside?

Pat Ireland

14. luvnbearhugs1

luvnbearhugs1 TS Member

Ummm boys and girls... you can't take credit for this idea, it's come up before.

When I first started shooting last year, I complained that I wouldn't be able to hit anything and Quack Shot assured me he would make my loads with magnetic shot so the iron impregnated birds would draw the shot to it and I would be sure not to miss. He said I would smoke every target. It sounded good to me then but I have a feeling it won't work. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.