1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot Sorter Photos

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GoldEx, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I have had a few requests for this so here it is. Nothing fancy but it works. This is a photo of the shot maker that I put together. Not too expensive and does a bang up job. Will post some close ups of the inside as well. Total cost of the unit was around $120 including the screens and gas to get to the store pick it up.

Jeff

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Close up of screens and inside of unit. If you have any questions on it, send me a PM. I will get back with you.

Jeff

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Jeff,

Curious. Why did you use screen instead of perforated plate?

I suppose screen is less expensive, and probably easier to obtain?

4. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Reason was three fold. Cost was a factor for sure as was the number of holes per square inch. Screen was by far superior with regard to the number of holes. Lastly was the ability to get the size holes I wanted in screen. The aluminum strips used to hold the screen in are actually a transition molding from Home Depot that I ripped on my table saw and cut into the sized pieces I needed to get the job done after drilling some extra holes in it. Just loosen the screws, slide out the screen and slide in the next size. Slick.

Jeff

5. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

The cover is not on during the sorting operation. I do have the lid of the 5 gallon pail snapped on though. The lid has a 3 1/2" diameter hole in it so I can continue to add shot during the operation and have the mixer as horizontal as possible to get the maximum amount of lead area over the screens. Because it is a drum, the screen is fairly self cleaning unlike a flat sifter. Once the hole gets plugged in the flat one, it is plugged and no other shot goes through. This way, as the drum turns, the oversized piece of sho usually falls out freeing up the hole again. I never put more than about 50-60 pounds in it to start. It comes out fairly fast so by the time I turn it on and get another scoop to add, it has lost what I am putting back in. The first time I used it I sorted 250 pounds of shot pulling out all of the stuff bigger than 7 1/2 in 13 minutes. The next two sortings go a bit slower pulling out 7 1/2 from the 8 and 8 1/2 and then the 8's from the 8 1/2's. The shot is already graphited prior to this operation in another similar mixer. It goes right from the washing and drying stage to the graphiting. Sorting comes last. The mixer has a plastic bin the fits underneath it during operation to catch the shot that falls through the screens. The shot that is too big is dumped out of the mixer periodically and scrapped to be remelted. I got it a Harbor Freight for $85 plux tax. Regularly $129. Had it on sale for $99 and then I had a 15% of coupon on top of that.

Jeff

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jeff, thanks for sharing guy! That's a real "tweak" job and one that looks good and works great! I'm impressed! Hap

7. sasquach

sasquach Member

Jeff, Great idea,job well done. I have the same mixer that I use to graphite with. Would it be possible ,do you think ,to use the same mixer for both without having to dismantle the thing every time? I had been kicking the idea around about making a similar rotary sorter only longer with progresivly larger holes to sort it all at once, but I think I like your idea better.

8. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Sasquatch -

I do not think you can acomplish both jobs with the same mixer easily unless you purchase an extra mixing drum. Then you would just have to unbolt your 6 bolts and replace the sorting drum with the graphiting drum. My guess is that the spare drum would run you about the same as a whole new mixer by the time you had it shipped to you. My biggest obstacle was figuring out how to mount the bucket to the mixer to allow it to sit flat. The bottom half of the mixing drum is held to the frame by 6 1/4 inch bolts. There is also a raised bump on the bottom of the mixer which, if you have the same model, you know what I am referring to. I made a wooden donut that would allow the bucket to sit flat inside the unit. The donut is held to the frame with 4 of the 6 1/4 inch bolts. I then dropped another piece of 3/4 inch stock inside of the 5 gal bucket and screwed it through the bucket into the donut material below with drywall screws. Now the donut and the bucket are one unit but had no strength. The last 2 bolts are drilled completely through into the inside of the bucket and held in place with some fender washers (visible in photo) for added surface area. So far so good. I had considered using a shorter plastic bucket (3 1/2 gal) to see if I could fabricate something that would allow me to use the same machine to do both the sorting and graphiting but I ended up doing this as my buddy bought the other unit for graphiting. My original plan was to mount the shorter bucket inside the unit and then cut rectangular drain holes in the outer drum with a die grinder to allow the shot to fall out into a collection bin.

Jeff

9. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

This is a cool setup. Where did you get and what size screen openings do you use?
    I have the mixer, bought it from Harbor Freight just like you but it was $199 (so what, I'm a tool freak).I bought it to wash reclaimed shot and it worked very well. I have since used it to wash hulls, I know--most say this is a waste of time but you try it sometime. I think it's definitely worth it. enough water to cover the hulls, about three five gallon buckets full, two glug glugs of Purple Power carwash loquid for Wally World (it dosn't foam up) and the screen I use to dry shot in the sun. Tumble for one hour and spread to dry. Really makes reloading more pleasurable and you can inspect hulls more easily.
    Thanks for sharing with us all!

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

excellent post.

Don

11. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Thanks for sharing. You people are a regular bunch of McGyvers! If you don't know he was ...... your to young. LOL IMHO Omaha

12. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Jim

I posted this info on another thread but it contains what you are looking for. I think the mixer you bought is the one slightly bigger than mine. There is another model that they carry that sells in the $200 range. Go to McMaster Carr and page 387 in their catalog.

Jeff

13. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the help. I called and have the screens on the way.
    They were not as expensive as I thiught they would be, about $3.50 each.
    You saved me a ton of time! I was about to start drilling holes in a bucket as was shown on a earlier post.

14. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Jim

Glad I could help. Like I said earlier, this is a down and dirty design and has a lot of room for improvements. I just don't have the time to do a lot of them. One thing that would be nice is to eliminate the bin I have to put underneath during the sorting operation (a deflector shield has to go in as well as some of the shot gets slung by the serrations in the lip of the red drum) and install some kind of a ramp that would allow the shot to roll away from the machine into a catch container of some kind. Once the kids go back to school and I have more time, I might start playing with it again.

Jeff

15. 686

686 TS Member

jim where did you get your screen from and what size is the holes and how big are the sheets?

16. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

686 -

Turn your Private message on.

Buy your mesh direct from the source.....

Here is the link for McMaster Carr

Go to the website and then to catalog page 387. The mesh you want is the 8 X 8 in the hole size you want to sort for.

Jeff

17. 686

686 TS Member

NOT SURE what you mean by turning on my pravite messages. i found the wire and am going to order some today. what hole size did you get for #9 , #8 , AND #7 1/2 ? i guess what i want is to sift my # 7 1/2 taking out bigger stuff. and with my # 8 shou do the same thing . i would not be using it for sorting sizes altho that might be an idea. thanks for the help. charles@nickolsons.com

18. 686

686 TS Member

GoldEx i just ordered 2 ea. .100--.097--.093--.090 . something is sure to work. i have a cement mixer i use to graphit with, but i am going to try to make a hand crank 5 gal bucket one likr yours but turn by hand with a crank handel.

19. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

I mean I tried to send you a private message on trapshooter.com and I got a message saying that you don't have that feature activated. Go into the change password/settings area and there is a dot to check either yes or no for allowing private messages. Yours must be set to "no".

Jeff

20. 686

686 TS Member

thanks jeff i did not know that was there. try again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.