1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Shot some Top Guns today!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Which, on the surface, may not seem like much of a big deal.

Except, I'm in South Africa. And this is the first time I've even SEEN a USA brand shell here.

Went to the club to shoot a few rounds, and lo! And behold! One of the guys was shooting some Federal Top Guns, 1 ounce, 1180 fps.

He generously traded me for a box of RC International trap loads.

Ahhhh, the smell was WONDERFUL!

The guy paid 67 Rand for them, which is about $10.00 a box.

2. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

what do your shells generally smell like ?

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>what do your shells generally smell like ?</i>

I don't know, but nothing smells quite like Federals.

OK, so today, unable to make it home for the Kansas State Shoot, I shot at the closest similar thing I could find, which was the "Central Gauteng ATA Trap Trials" which is kind of like a really, really small State Zone shoot.

Shot at Wattlespring Gun Club, which, by Google Earth, is exactly 9189 miles from the KTA grounds in Wichita.

And I won it with a 97! Go me!

Only 4 squads, and they only shoot singles here, no handicap or doubles.

I did find a guy who sold me a case of the Federals, and that's what I shot today. Good karma from home? Maybe.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

A Big Congrats on your win today!!! I hope the Federals don't get you to home sick, but bring you lots of good scores!!! How do you like the two shot down the line shooting that I hear is very popular over there??? I'm glad to hear you can still enjoy shooting. How's the new job working out for you??? Break-em all. Jeff

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

timb--Your right about the Federal smell. The papers are even better IMHO. I bought a flat just because of that. I personally don't care for their shells but if you could bottle that smell to put in other shells you'd be a rich man. I guess its just the powder.

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Nothing smells better than Fed shells, except maybe diesel exhaust coming from a large water fishing boat about to be boarded.

Tim, not to get off topic, but what other US products do you come across? Everybody says we don't manufacture anything over here anymore. I'm guessing Coke, Pepsi and a boat load of stuff from Proctor and Gamble????

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Yeah Matt, for me it was like a little slice of home. Had the spent hull up to my nose more than a few times today.

Jeff, I haven't shot DTL yet, but I plan to. The angles are a little wider than ATA, more like 3-hole than 2-hole, and the targets are just a smidge faster (55 yards to the stake versus 50.)

Job is frustrating. Construction here moves like a glacier.

And then there are the labor strikes. Nobody mentioned there's a "strike season" here!

But the weather is good. Its almost getting cold here. It was 42F this morning when I got to the club. Had a couple of sub-freezing mornings here last week, but it still gets up into the 50's in the afternoon.

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Bisi,

Coke is by far the most recognizable USA product. Fanta products as well.

But what I found surprising is the number of Chrysler vehicles. Also, some Chevy and Ford, but not as prevalent as Chrysler. They even have Chrysler soccer-mom vans and PT Cruisers here!

Not much in the way of cleaning products from the USA.

Some of the grocery stores have USA products like Heinz and Hunts ketchup (what they call ketchup here tastes way too sweet.) Old Spice deodorant. Kit-Kat bars.

But you pay a premium for the USA stuff.

When I told guys at the club I live near a Cabelas, I got a LOT of "hey when you go back...we need to talk" and "you could make a LOT of money being a shooting sports courier."

One guy begged me to bring him back a Hornady 366.

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Traded RC's for Top Guns.... Boy did you get the short end of the deal. RC's are probably the best bunker Trap load in the world. Unfortunately RC is not available in the US.

TB

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

BISI,

The US manufacturing sector is larger than the entire economy of Germany!

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Tim, I hope your job works out for you. I haven't been lurking here as often as I used to and didn't know you were over there.

We recently moved and I unearthed 700 once-fired Federal papers from the 1992 and 1993 Grand Americans along with a bunch of other stuff that I forgot I had. I've been loading and shooting them just to get rid of them and can tell you that Federal papers are one thing they really don't make "like they used to." The new ones I bought in 2003 were good for two reloads before pinholes started showing up - I'm going to load these tomorrow for the fifth time with no sign of a pinhole yet!

Ed

[​IMG]

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Tom,

I know RC is top notch stuff, but for ATA trap singles, I'd much rather shoot a slow 1 ounce load than a screaming fast 24 gram load.

The recoil, and the result, is generally the same, I just wanted to shoot those Federals.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

So is your 'hull huffing' catching on now that you are in the winners circle?

I know what you mean about the wonderful smell - too bad they are hard for you to come by.

Glad to hear you are getting in some shooting over there.

14. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Too bad you can't find some of the pink Federal Top Guns made for breast cancer awareness. That would probably get you some strange stares over there. Colonel

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Yeah, It figures. Shooting those Imported Ameri-Trash shells again? :)

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Ameri-trash. That's good. I like that.

17. Baber

Baber TS Member

Quacker.... You see the latest edition of Trapshooting USA.... Had a great article on your favorite shell manufacturer.

TB

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

TBaby!

Did "you" write it? You need to drink some more Kool Aid.

19. Baber

Baber TS Member

I would love to take this discussion off line but you have shut down your private messaging system. I will tell you that a friend who is a Gun Writer of some stature is going to visit UEE this summer. I gave him some of your drivel to digest and possibly discuss with their management.

I would like to be able to tell you what he find out but you have shut your ears off.
    TB

20. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Hey Timb99 - What type of guns do they shoot over there? Huntnandhotrods

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.